Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) This chapter sets forth uniform requirements for direct and indirect contributors into the wastewater collection and treatment system for the county, and enables the county to comply with all applicable state and federal laws, including the Clean Water Act (33 U.S.C. §§ 1251 et seq.) and the General Pretreatment Regulations (40 C.F.R. pt. 403).
(B) The objectives of this chapter are:
(1) To prevent the introduction of pollutants into the county wastewater system which will interfere with the operation of the system or contaminate the resulting sludge;
(2) To prevent the introduction of pollutants into the county wastewater system which will pass through the system, inadequately treated, into any waters of the state or otherwise be incompatible with the system;
(3) To promote reuse and recycling of industrial wastewater and sludges from the county system;
(4) To protect both county personnel who may be affected by sewage, sludge, and effluent in the course of their employment as well as protecting the general public;
(5) To provide for equitable distribution of the cost of operation, maintenance, and improvement of the county wastewater system; and
(6) To ensure that the county complies with its NPDES or non-discharge permit conditions, sludge use, and disposal requirements and any other federal or state laws to which the county wastewater system is subject.
(C) This chapter provides for the regulation of direct and indirect contributors to the county wastewater system, through the issuance of permits to certain non-domestic users and through enforcement of general requirements for the other users, authorizes monitoring and enforcement activities, requires user reporting and provides for the setting of fees for the equitable distribution of costs resulting from the program established herein.
(D) This chapter shall apply to all users of the county wastewater system, as authorized by G.S. §§ 160A-312 and/or 153A-275. Except as otherwise provided herein, the POTW Director shall administer, implement, and enforce the provisions of this chapter. Any powers granted to or imposed upon the POTW Director may be delegated by the POTW Director to other county personnel. By discharging wastewater into the county wastewater system, industrial users located outside the county limits agree to comply with the terms and conditions established in this chapter, as well as any permits, enforcement actions, or orders issued hereunder.
(Ord. passed 8-22-1994)