Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The provisions of this Traffic Code regulating the operation, parking and standing of vehicles shall apply to authorized emergency vehicles, as defined in § 70.01, except as follows:
(A) A driver, when operating such a vehicle in an emergency, except when otherwise directed by a police officer, may:
(1) Park or stand notwithstanding the provisions of Chapter 71;
(2) Proceed past a red light or a stop signal or stop sign, but only after slowing down as may be necessary for safe operation;
(3) Exceed the prima facie speed limits as set forth in G.S. § 20-145 so long as he or she does not endanger life or property;
(4) Disregard regulations governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions so long as he or she does not endanger life or property; and
(5) Disregard the right-of-way rule, but only as set forth in G.S. § 20-156.
(B) The foregoing exemptions shall not, however, relieve the driver of any such vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway, nor protect such driver from the consequences of any arbitrary exercise of such exemption.
(1991 Code, § 70.11) (Ord. passed 7-7-1953) Penalty, see § 70.99