Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Building And Zoning Permit Required: Any person, prior to beginning work on any of the items listed below, shall obtain a building and zoning permit from the City Administrator.
1. New structures, changing the footprint or roof profile of any structure; and/or
2. New driveways, sidewalks, retaining walls with exposed face of twenty inches (20") high, swimming pools, outdoor kitchens, built in fireplaces, or fences more than twenty inches (20") high measuring from the ground; or changing the footprint or height of any of these listed items; and/or
3. Any construction, modification, maintenance or repair that requires installation or relocation of water lines, electrical lines, or sewer lines; or that results in changes to the framing, support or foundation of exterior or load bearing walls of a structure; and/or
4. Any work on City right-of-way.
5. Structures are defined under section 9-1-2, "Definitions", of this Code.
B. Fees: The fees to be paid for each permit are as follows:
1. Demolition permit: Seventy five dollars ($75.00). This includes partial and entire demolition projects.
2. Building and zoning permit: Seventy five dollars ($75.00).
3. Other fees: As established by City Council and administrative order.
C. Fees Separate: Building and zoning permit fees are separate and distinct from the inspection fees. Issuance of a building and zoning permit does not exempt the property owner from compliance with Federal, State and local laws, to include the City's building and zoning regulations.
D. Exemptions From Building And Zoning Permit: A building and zoning permit is not required for minor repairs, maintenance, or other minor work.
E. Eligibility For Building And Zoning Permit: A building and zoning permit shall not be issued to any person other than the owner or owners of the real estate on which a building is to be constructed or remodeled, except the contractor, as agent for the owners, may apply for or be issued a building and zoning permit. A building and zoning permit shall not be issued to a contract purchaser of real estate unless the owner or owners of the real estate join in the application.
F. Required Documents:
1. All applications or requests for building and zoning permits shall be accompanied by a drawing, preferably drafted to scale, showing the location on the lot of the building or addition to a building, all applicable setback lines, lot dimensions, and angles.
2. All requests or applications for building and zoning permits shall be accompanied by building plans properly dimensioned and detailed, with structural elements designated.
3. All applications and requests for building and zoning permits for any new building or any addition to an existing building involving the remodeling or installation of new plumbing, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, or electrical systems shall be accompanied by a properly drafted plan of the system involved, giving types of materials, unit capacities, wire sizes, and breaker size service entrances.
4. An estimate of the anticipated cost of construction shall accompany each request or application for a building and zoning permit.
5. Any and all contractors doing work within the City on projects that require a building and zoning permit shall register with the City providing documentation of license (as applicable by Federal, State or County requirements), and proof of insurance in an appropriate amount, to include liability, auto and workers compensation insurance. The registration shall be valid for one (1) calendar year.
6. All of the documents required above to accompany a request or application for a building and zoning permit shall remain on file with the Building Official. (Ord. 417, 3-28-2017)