(A) General. The intent of the A-2 - Residential Agriculture District is to provide a district that will provide a large lot buffer between A-1 - Agriculture Districts and municipal boundaries and/or higher density zonings, while maintaining some agricultural uses and a rural feel.
(B) Allowed uses. In A-2 - Residential Agriculture District, the following uses are allowed:
(1) Single-family dwellings including, but not limited to: modular homes; manufactured homes; mobile homes; and stick-built homes;
(2) Transportation and utility easements and rights-of-way;
(3) On-premises signs, complying with Chapter 8 of this zoning title;
(4) Historical monuments and structures;
(6) Accessory uses and structures;
(7) Home occupations;
(8) Home daycare;
(9) Public parks and playgrounds;
(10) General ranching and farming;
(13) Forest preserves;
(14) Non-retail plant nurseries and greenhouses;
(15) Family cemetery/pet cemetery;
(16) Sod and tree farming;
(18) Horticulture, viticulture, floriculture, and apiculture;
(19) Truck gardening;
(20) Roadside stands exclusive for sale of products raised on the premises;
(21) Noncommercial riding stables and academies;
(22) Noncommercial indoor/outdoor arenas; and
(23) Wild crop harvesting.
(C) Allowed special uses. A building or premises may be used for the following purposes in the A-2 - Residential Agriculture District in conformance with the requirements prescribed herein. A building or premises intended to be used for the following purposes, where the prescribed requirements will not be met, shall obtain a conditional use in conformance with the requirements set out in Chapter 19 of this zoning title:
(1) Temporary uses in conjunction with § II-10.007; and
(2) Guest houses in conjunction with § II-10.012.
(D) Conditional uses. The following uses may be allowed in the A-2 - Residential Agriculture District under the provisions of Chapter 19 of this zoning title:
(1) Utility substations;
(2) Kennels, grooming, boarding, vet clinics, and animal shelters;
(3) Churches, religious structures;
(5) Fairgrounds and community centers;
(6) Fire stations;
(7) Antennas, microwave and communication towers;
(8) Roadside stands;
(9) Bed and breakfast;
(10) Specialty resort;
(11) Commercial gun and archery ranges;
(12) Water treatment, purification, storage, pumping, solid waste disposal sites;
(13) Commercial indoor/outdoor arenas;
(14) Commercial sawmill/molding mill;
(15) Personal use mineral and sand, gravel, or rock extractive industry;
(16) Small and large wind energy systems per § II-10.001;
(17) Personal use airstrip/heliport if the location of airstrip/heliport is at least 500 feet from the outer perimeter of the parcel(s);
(18) Commercial recreation facility; and
(19) Light manufacturing when contained entirely in a building with size constraints.
(E) Density, setback(s), and lot requirements.
Density/minimum lot size
10 acre average and 8 acre minimum*
Front, side, and rear yard(s)
*: The maximum average density shall be 4 residences per a quarter of a quarter-section of land (1/16 of 640 acres or 40 acres or a government lot), unless it is a preexisting lot of record.
**: From all lot lines and any road right-of-way, except as approved pursuant to a variance. All section lines shall be required to have a 25 foot setback from the edge of the section line right-of- way.
***: Shall not exceed 3 stories, except as approved pursuant to a variance or otherwise specifically exempted from this limitation (e.g., telecommunication towers, wind energy systems, water towers).
(Ord. 14-01, passed 6-6-2014, Ch. 6, Art. 2; Ord. 16-01, passed 6-3-2016; Ord. 16-03, passed 7-21-2017; Ord. 17-01, passed 5-1-2017; Ord. 19-01, passed 4-9-2019; Ord. 20-01, passed 10-6-2020)