Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) A vehicle in a funeral procession has the right-of-way at an intersection and may proceed through the intersection if the procession is led by an escort vehicle displaying flashing yellow, red, or blue lights, except:
(1) When the right-of-way is required by an emergency vehicle as defined by KRS 189.910;
(2) When vehicles in the procession are directed otherwise by a police or safety officer; or
(3) When the vehicle is a train or locomotive.
(B) Before assuming the right-of-way, a person who drives a vehicle in a funeral procession shall exercise due caution with regard to crossing traffic.
(C) A person who drives a vehicle that is not part of a funeral procession shall not drive the vehicle between the vehicles of the funeral procession or otherwise interfere with the progress of the procession, except when:
(1) The person is authorized to do so by a police or safety officer; or
(2) The vehicle is an emergency vehicle as defined by KRS 189.910.
(D) A person who drives a vehicle that is not part of a funeral procession shall not illuminate the vehicle headlights or engage in any other act for the purpose of securing the right-of-way granted to funeral processions.
(E) The escort vehicle, hearse, or other vehicles in a procession may be equipped with flashing amber lights for the purpose of notifying the general public of the procession and gaining the right-of-way at intersections, or signaling the end of a procession.
(F) Persons authorized to use flashing lights as defined in KRS 189.920 may use them while accompanying a funeral procession to warn traffic that a procession is approaching or that it is in progress.
(G) When a funeral procession is in progress, a person driving a vehicle not in the procession shall not pass or overtake any vehicle in the procession unless:
(1) The person is directed to do so by a police or safety officer;
(2) The procession is on a street, road, or highway outside the corporate limits of a city, town, or urban-county; or
(3) The procession is on an interstate highway or a state parkway.
(KRS 189.378) Penalty, see § 71.99