Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Purpose of historic preservation and protection:
(1) To promote the educational, cultural and general welfare of the citizens of Lawrenceburg and to ensure the harmonious and orderly growth and development of the municipality;
(2) To maintain established residential neighborhoods in danger of having their distinctiveness destroyed;
(3) To enhance property values and attract new residents; and
(4) To ensure the viability of the traditional downtown area and enhance tourism within the city;
(5) It is deemed essential by the city that qualities relating to its history and harmonious outward appearance of its buildings be preserved.
(B) These purposes are advanced through the restoration and preservation of historic areas and buildings, the construction of compatible new buildings where appropriate, and the maintenance of and to ensure compatibility in regards to style, form, proportion, texture, and material between historic buildings and those of contemporary design.
(C) It is the intention of the city through this chapter to preserve and protect historic or architecturally worthy buildings, structures, sites, monuments, streetscapes, squares and neighborhoods of the historic districts created in accordance with this chapter.
(Ord. 20-2011, passed 11-16-11)