Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) No person, firm or corporation shall erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert or demolish any building, structure or property in the City, or cause the same to be done, the cost of which exceeds $1,500, without first obtaining a separate building permit for each building, structure or property from the Building Commissioner.
(B) All permits shall be issued by the Building Commissioner and all fees provided for herein shall be paid to the Building Commissioner’s office.
(C) To obtain a permit, the applicant, before beginning construction, shall file an application therefor with the Building Commissioner, in writing on a form furnished for that purpose by the Building Commissioner. Every application shall:
(1) Describe the land on which the proposed work is to be done by lot, block, tract and house and/or street address or similar description that will readily identify and definitely locate the proposed building or work;
(2) Show the use or occupancy of all parts of the building;
(3) State the name and address of the individual or company contracted to do the work as well as the owner of the building and/or land;
(4) State the valuation of the proposed work; and
(5) Give other information as may be reasonably required by the Building Commissioner.
(D) No person, partnership, corporation or other form of business organization shall accomplish or allow the connection, provision or use of electrical power relative to an electrical power distribution system in or on a structure where construction activity (for which a building permit has been or is required to be obtained pursuant to this chapter) has been accomplished, until after an inspection has been made and a distinctive sticker (signifying the electrical power distribution system may be used) has been attached to each service equipment by the Building Commissioner or his or her authorized representative. It shall be unlawful to alter or remove the sticker.
(E) The office of the Building Commissioner may allow the connection of electrical power by a person who is a licensed electrical contractor if all of the following requirements are met.
(1) After the completion of the work and before use of the electrical power distribution system is initiated, the licensed electrical contractor who applied for the building permit shall communicate over a specified telephone line in the office of the Building Commissioner during business hours (to which the Building Commissioner may attach a recording device to make a record of all information supplied) the following information:
(a) The name of the person telephoning;
(b) The electrical contractor license number of the person telephoning;
(c) The address of the affected premises; and
(d) The building number of the Electrical Craft Work Certificate of Completion and Compliance form.
(2) If the information is in order and if the licensed electrical contractor has accomplished construction activity for a period of the preceding 12 calendar months without violation of building standards or procedures which, in the discretion of the Building Commissioner, is of sufficient seriousness to make the contractor ineligible to use the certificate, the Building Commissioner shall indicate over the specified telephone line authorization to attach a certificate to the service equipment and assign an authorization number to be placed on each certificate by the licensee.
(3) A certificate, in the following form, must then be executed and attached to each service equipment as a precondition to the connection, provision or use of electrical power:
ELECTRICAL CRAFT WORK CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION AND COMPLIANCE
Address of the craftwork: ___________________________________________
Serial number: ___________________________________
Permit number: ___________________________________
Authorization number: ____________________________
The undersigned licensee hereby certifies under the penalties for perjury that:
1. I am an electrical contractor licensed in accordance with Sections 2-1-4et seq. of the Municipal Code of Lawrence, Indiana; and
2. I am responsible for the proper completion of the construction activity which is the subject of the above referenced building permit as applicant for the permit or applicant representing the transferee of the permit; and
3. I have either personally accomplished or personally inspected all the construction activity, or in the alternative, I have caused the construction activity to be inspected by a responsible and competent employee who works under my direction and control, who has fully reported to me the condition of the construction activity; and
4. I know that the construction activity is completed and in condition for immediate and final inspection on the date stated below; and
5. I am familiar with building standards and procedures applicable to the construction activity; and
6. I know that the construction activity has been done in compliance with all building standards and procedures; and
7. I acknowledge and understand that if the construction activity is done in violation of building standards and procedures, that under the provisions of Sections 2-1-4et seq., electrical contractor’s license may be suspended or revoked.
Date certificate attached to service equipment:
Electrical contractor license number:
Typed or printed name
After the signator attaches a certificate to such service equipment, he or she shall cause a duplicate copy of each certificate to be either personally delivered to the office of the Building Commissioner or postmarked no later than the next business day by the United States Postal Service.
(4) After completion of the above requirements, the building contractor will notify the electric utility that electrical power can be connected and used at the site.
(F) It shall be unlawful for any person, partnership, corporation or other form of business organization to accomplish the connection, provision or use of electrical power relative to an electrical power distribution system without first receiving authorization from the office of the Building Commissioner either by telephone communication and attachment of an Electrical Craft Work Certificate of Completion and Compliance or by the distinctive sticker described in division (D) above.
(G) Nothing stated in this section shall be construed to deny the right of the office of the Building Commissioner to inspect the electrical power distribution system to which the electrical power is connected either before or after the connection is made, or before or after the electrical power distribution system is used.
(H) Electrical Craft Work Certificates of Completion and Compliance may be purchased only by a licensed electrical contractor who is eligible to use these forms from the office of the Building Commissioner, acting on behalf of the City Controller, for a fee specified in § 2-1-1-29(D)(8). Each certificate form shall bear a different serialized number, which shall be recorded by the office of the Building Commissioner along with the name and licensure number of the electrical contractor who purchases the form. The certificate may only be signed and attached by the licensed electrical contractor who purchased it from the office of the Building Commissioner. It shall be unlawful to sell or transfer the certificate and unlawful to use, complete, sign or attach the certificate except as prescribed in this section.
(Am. Ord. 8, 2011, passed 7-5-2011) Penalty, see § 2-1-1-28