Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Any vehicle that is determined to be abandoned shall be tagged with a Lawrence Police Department abandoned vehicle notice tag prior to its removal. The notice tag shall be placed in a prominent place and contain the following information:
(1) The date, time, officer’s name, public agency and address and telephone number to contact for information;
(2) That the vehicle or parts are considered abandoned;
(3) That the vehicle or parts will be removed after 72 hours;
(4) That the person who owns the vehicle will be held responsible for all costs incidental to the removal, storage and disposal of the vehicle; and
(5) That the person who owns the vehicle may avoid costs by removal of the vehicle or parts within 72 hours.
(B) (1) If in the opinion of the officer the market value of the abandoned vehicle or parts is at least $500, the officer, before placing a notice tag on the vehicle or parts, shall make a reasonable effort to ascertain the person who owns the vehicle or parts or who may be in control of the vehicle or parts. Seventy-two hours after a vehicle has been tagged, it shall be towed as an abandoned vehicle; provided, that any vehicle which must, for any reason, be removed immediately shall not be required to be tagged prior to its removal.
(2) If in the opinion of the officer the market value of an abandoned vehicle or parts is less than $500, and subject to the notice tag and 72-hour period provided in division (A) above, the officer shall immediately dispose of the vehicle to an automobile scrap yard. A copy of the abandoned vehicle report and photographs relating to the abandoned vehicle shall be forwarded to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. The Lawrence Police Department shall retain the original records and photographs for at least two years.
(C) Whenever a vehicle is towed or disposed of as abandoned, the officer towing the vehicle, causing the vehicle to be towed or disposing of the vehicle shall prepare a written abandoned vehicle report of the vehicle or parts, including information on the condition, missing parts and other facts that might substantiate the estimated market value of the vehicle or parts. Photographs shall be taken to describe the condition of the vehicle or parts.
(D) At the time the vehicle is towed, the bottom, separately serial-numbered portion of Bureau of Motor Vehicles Form 322B shall be given to the wrecker driver. This will be returned to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles by the towing service when the vehicle is disposed of.
(E) A copy of the Lawrence Vehicle Impoundment Inventory Record shall be kept in police records. Bureau of Motor Vehicles Form 322B shall be forwarded to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles within 72 hours of the removal of the vehicle.
(F) Police personnel responsible for the processing of vehicle tow-ins shall file and forward to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles a copy of Bureau of Motor Vehicles Form 322B for any vehicle which was towed for a reason other than abandonment but was not claimed by its owner within 15 days of its removal.
(G) Whenever a vehicle is towed from or within the City of Lawrence as an abandoned or impounded vehicle, the Lawrence Police Department and the towing service(s) shall enable access and recovery for such vehicle during such period as it is retained at all times, representing access 24 hours each day and seven days each week. Contact and release shall be handled and processed by and through the towing service(s).
(Am. Ord. 29, 2010, passed 4-20-2011; Am. Ord. 9, 2011, passed 9-6-2011)