Skip to code content (skip section selection)
For purposes of this chapter, unless it is plainly evident from the context that a different meaning is intended, the following definitions shall apply:
“Accredited veterinarian” means one who has been so designated by the Code Enforcement Officer of the Animal Disease Eradication Division, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture.
“Alter” means to spay or neuter.
“Animal” means any mammal, bird, reptile, fish, or amphibian.
“Animal care center” means a place where animals impounded by the Code Enforcement Division are placed for their humane care and keeping.
“Animal facility” means any premises used by an animal-related business or organization, including a non-profit humane organization, a grooming shop, a pet shop, a boarding facility, or a breeding facility.
“Animal menagerie” means a place where wild animals are kept or maintained for any purpose, including places where wild animals are boarded, trained, or kept for hire.
“Approved rabies vaccine” means a rabies vaccine approved by the State of California Department of Public Health.
“Approved veterinarian” means one so designated by the California Department of Agriculture to buy, possess or use tuberculin.
“Boarding facility” means an animal facility used for the care and temporary boarding, including day care, of dogs, cats, and other animals normally kept as pets, in return for money or other consideration. Boarding facility does not include an animal hospital that only boards animals receiving medical treatment.
“Cat” means a cat of any age or gender.
“Competition dog” is a dog used to show, compete, or breed, and is a breed registered with the American Kennel Club (AKC), United Kennel Club (UKC), American Dog Breeders Association (ADBA), or other valid registry approved by the Code Enforcement Officer, and meets one of the following requirements:
(1) Within the last three hundred and sixty-five (365) days, the dog has competed in at least one (1) dog show or sporting competition approved by a national registry or the Code Enforcement Officer;
(2) The dog has earned a conformation, obedience, agility, carting, herding, protection, rally, sporting, working, or other title from a purebred dog registry referenced above or other registry or dog sport association approved by the Code Enforcement Officer; or
(3) The owner or custodian of the dog is a member of a purebred dog breed club, approved by the Code Enforcement Officer, which enforces a code of ethics that includes restrictions on breeding dogs with genetic defects or life-threatening health problems.
“Competition cat” is a cat used to show, compete, or breed, and is a breed registered with the Cat Fanciers Association ("CFA") or other valid registry approved by the Code Enforcement Officer, and meets one of the following requirements:
(1) Within the last three hundred and sixty-five (365) days the cat has competed in at least one (1) cat show approved by a national registry or the Code Enforcement Officer;
(2) The cat has earned a conformation title from a purebred cat registry; or
(3) The owner or custodian of the cat is a member of a purebred cat breed club approved by the Code Enforcement Officer, which enforces a code of ethics that includes restrictions on breeding cats with genetic defects or life-threatening health problems.
“Custodian” for purposes of this chapter is a person who keeps or harbors an animal for at least fifteen (15) consecutive days.
“Disabled veteran” means a veteran with a disability resulting from a disease or injury incurred or aggravated during military service.
“Dog” means a dog of any age or gender.
“Enclosure” means a fence or structure that will prevent the entry of young children and that will confine a potentially dangerous or a vicious dog, in conjunction with other measures that may be required to be taken by the owner or custodian of the dog. The enclosure must be designed to prevent the animal from escaping.
“Grooming parlor/mobile” means any place or vehicle where animals are groomed for consideration.
“Guard or attack dog” means a dog, not residing in a private residence, that is used to protect a person or property.
“Hobby breeder” means a person who owns and breeds a dog or cat and sells the offspring for money or other consideration.
“Impounded” means an animal that has been received into the custody of the City.
“Infectious disease” means and includes any infectious, contagious or communicable disease considered by the Code Enforcement Officer of health services to be dangerous to the welfare of the City of La Puente and to the health of the animals therein, sufficient to warrant putting into effect the provisions of this Section 3.36.020 and his or her rules and regulations.
“Institution” means any school, hospital, rest home, sanitarium, church, club, or any other establishment.
“Large animal” means an animal that weighs two hundred and fifty (250) pounds or more.
“Livestock” includes, but is not limited to, the following: swine, cattle, equines, sheep, goats, llamas, alpacas, poultry, and rabbits.
“Neuter” means surgical removal of both testes.
“Nonprofit humane organization animal facility” means a facility operating under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, where animals are kept for redemption by owners, adoption, or sanctuary.
“Person” means any person, firm, company, association or corporation, their agents or employees.
“Person” means and includes an individual, an association of individuals, or other legal entity.
“Pet shop” means a place of business where any animals are sold as pets.
“Potentially dangerous dog” means any of the following:
(1) A dog that on two separate occasions within the prior 36-month period, engages in any unprovoked behavior that requires a defensive action by a person to prevent bodily injury to a person, domestic animal, or livestock, off the property of the owner or custodian of the dog;
(2) A dog that, when unprovoked, bites a person or otherwise engages in aggressive behavior, causing a less severe injury than as defined in subsection (1);
(3) A dog that, when unprovoked, has killed, seriously bitten, inflicted injury, or otherwise caused injury to a domestic animal or livestock off the property of the owner or custodian of the dog.
“Pygmy pig” means a pig or hog commonly referred to as a Vietnamese pot-bellied pig, pygmy pig, or mini-pig, that stands no higher than twenty (20) inches at the shoulder and is no longer than forty (40) inches from the tip of the head to the end of the buttocks, and weighs no more than one hundred and twenty (120) pounds.
“Rooster” means a male chicken that is:
(1) Six (6) months of age or older;
(2) Has full plumage; or
(3) Is capable of crowing.
A “senior citizen’ for purposes of this chapter, means a person who is sixty (60) years of age or older.
“Service Animal” is a guide dog or seeing-eye dog trained by a person licensed under Business and Professions Code section 7200 et seq., including a signal dog, other dog, or miniature horse, trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability, including, but not limited to, guiding persons with impaired vision, alerting persons with impaired hearing to intruders or sounds, providing minimal protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, or fetching dropped items.
“Severe injury” means any physical harm to a human being that results in a serious illness or injury, including but not limited to a major fracture, muscle tears, or disfiguring lacerations requiring multiple sutures or corrective or cosmetic surgery.
“Small animal” means an animal that weighs less than two hundred and fifty (250) pounds.
“Vicious dog” means any of the following:
(1) A dog that engages in or has been bred or trained to engage in exhibitions of fighting;
(2) A dog that, when unprovoked, in an aggressive manner, inflicts severe injury on or kills a person;
(3) A dog previously designated as and currently listed as a potentially dangerous dog in the City or Los Angeles County, or to be a dangerous or vicious dog in another jurisdiction, which, after its owner or custodian has been notified of that designation, continues the behavior described in subsections (a) or (b) or is maintained in violation of a stipulation, an administrative decision, a court order, or restrictions placed upon it by another jurisdiction.
“Spay” means surgical removal of both ovaries and the uterus.
“Unaltered” means an animal that has not been spayed or neutered.
“Unlicensed dog or cat’ means any dog or cat that is not currently licensed.
“Wholesale wild animal dealer” means a person who sells wild animals.
“Wild animal” is a nondomestic, exotic, or dangerous animal, including, but not limited to, the following: wild/domestic animal hybrids, other mammals, wildfowl, fish, and reptiles. (Ord. 961, § 2, 2019)