Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. General. Except as otherwise provided in this Chapter, no sign shall be altered, replaced, erected, constructed, or attached on buildings, structures, or property until a sign plan application, on a form designated by the City, has been approved by either the Director or Commission, as set forth in this Section. The Director may request additional information to ensure compliance with this Chapter and other provisions of the La Puente Municipal Code.
B. Signs Requiring Commission Approval. The following signs shall be subject to review and approval by the Commission.
1. Master sign program;
2. Freestanding signs over six feet in height;
4. Painted wall signs;
5. Electronic Display Billboards;
C. Signs Requiring Director Approval. The following signs are subject to review and approval by the Director.
1. Signs to be placed on structures for which a master sign program is not required;
2. Signs consistent with an approved master sign program;
3. Temporary signs;
4. Signs erected on a property for the purpose of providing information regarding direction to and/or identification of businesses and/or residences on that site;
5. Any other nonexempt sign not subject to Commission review and approval;
D. Time for Review.
1. For those signs subject to review by the Director, the Director shall review the sign plan application within 15 calendar days after the application has been deemed complete and shall make a determination to approve, conditionally approve, or deny the application unless the applicant has requested or received authorization for an extension of time.
2. For those signs subject to review by the Commission, the Commission shall review the sign plan application or master sign program within 60 days after the application has been deemed complete and shall make a determination to approve, conditionally approve, or deny the application unless the applicant has requested or received authorization for an extension of time.
3. For any sign plan application or master sign program submitted in conjunction with another discretionary application pursuant to this Zoning Code, the time period for action for the sign application shall be the same as that associated with the other application.
E. Required Findings for Approval.
1. The Director or Commission, as applicable, shall approve a sign application or master sign program if the following findings can be made:
a. The sign plan or sign program meets the requirements and sign design standards set forth in this Chapter; and
b. The sign plan or sign program is compatible with development on the subject property and developments in the immediate vicinity of the subject property, and does not detract from the character or quality of surrounding properties.
2. In reaching a decision, neither the Director nor the Commission shall be bound by the formal rules of evidence.
1. Any decision by the Director or the Commission under this Chapter may be appealed pursuant to the applicable provisions of Chapter 10.114 (Appeals).
2. Following exhaustion of all available appellate procedures within the City, any appellant may seek judicial review of the City’s final decision pursuant to California Code of Civil Procedure Section 1094.5. This provision does not limit an applicant’s or appellant’s ability to seek judicial review by other means. (Ord. 935 § 3 (part), 2015)