Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The Floodplain Administrator and/or designated staff is hereby authorized and directed to enforce the provisions of this chapter. The Administrator is further authorized to render interpretations of this chapter, which are consistent with its spirit and purpose.
(B) Duties and responsibilities of the Floodplain Administrator shall include, but are not limited to:
(1) Review all floodplain development permits to assure that the permit requirements of this chapter have been satisfied.
(2) Inspect and inventory damaged structures in the SFHA and complete substantial damage determinations.
(3) Ensure that construction authorization has been granted by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources for all development projects subject to §§ 155.44 and 155.46(A), and maintain a record of such authorization (either copy of actual permit/authorization or floodplain analysis/regulatory assessment).
(4) Ensure that all necessary federal or state permits have been received prior to issuance of the local floodplain development permit. Copies of such permits/authorizations are to be maintained on file with the floodplain development permit.
(5) Maintain and track permit records involving additions and improvements to residences located in the floodway.
(6) Notify adjacent communities and the State Floodplain Coordinator prior to any alteration or relocation of a watercourse, and submit copies of such notifications to FEMA.
(7) Maintain for public inspection and furnish upon request local permit documents, damaged structure inventories, substantial damage determinations, regulatory flood data, SFHA maps, letters of map change (LOMC), copies of DNR permits, letters of authorization, and floodplain analysis and regulatory assessments (letters of recommendation), federal permit documents, and as-built elevation and floodprooflng data for all buildings constructed subject to this chapter.
(8) Utilize and enforce all letters of map change (LOMC) or physical map revisions (PMR) issued by FEMA for the currently effective SFHA maps of the community.
(9) Assure that maintenance is provided within the altered or relocated portion of said watercourse so that the flood-carrying capacity is not diminished.
(10) Review certified plans and specifications for compliance.
(11) Verify and record the actual elevation of the lowest floor (including basement) of all new or substantially improved structures, in accordance with § 155.31.
(12) Verify and record the actual elevation to which any new or substantially improved structures have been floodproofed in accordance with § 155.31.
(13) Perform a minimum of three inspections to ensure that all applicable chapter and floodplain development requirements have been satisfied. The first upon the establishment of the flood protection grade reference mark at the development site; the second upon the establishment of the structure’s footprint/establishment of the lowest floor; and the final inspection upon completion and submission of the required finished construction elevation certificate. Authorized county officials shall have the right to enter and inspect properties located in the SFHA.
(14) Stop work orders.
(a) Upon notice from the Floodplain Administrator, work on any building, structure or premises that is being done contrary to the provisions of this chapter shall immediately cease.
(b) Such notice shall be in writing and shall be given to the owner of the property, or to his agent, or to the person doing the work, and shall state the conditions under which work may be resumed.
(15) Revocatlon of permits.
(a) The Floodplain Administrator may revoke a permit or approval, issued under the provisions of the chapter, in cases where there has been any false statement or misrepresentation as to the material fact in the application or plans on which the permit or approval was based.
(b) The Floodplain Administrator may revoke a permit upon determination by the Floodplain Administrator that the construction, erection, alteration, repair, moving, demolition, installation, or replacement of the structure for which the permit was issued is in violation of, or not in conformity with, the provisions of this chapter.
(Ord. 2010-10, passed 12-7-10; Am. Ord. 2016-06, passed 9-7-16; Am. Ord. 2016-09, passed 11-2-16)