Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Organize; Elect Officers:
1. At the first regular meeting of the year following city council appointment of planning commission members, the planning commission shall elect a chairperson whose election must receive the confirmation of the city council. No planning commission member shall serve more than three (3) consecutive years as chairperson.
2. At the first regular meeting of the year following city council appointment of planning commission members, the planning commission shall elect a vice chairperson from those of its members and may create such other offices as it may determine. Terms of all elected offices shall be for one year, with eligibility for reelection. (Ord. 898, 12-17-2012)
B. Rules Of Procedure: The planning commission shall adopt rules for its governance and for the transaction of its business, and shall keep a record of attendance at its meetings and of resolutions, transactions, findings and determinations showing the vote of each member on each question requiring a vote, or if absent or abstaining from voting, indicating such fact. When the Planning Commission recommends the denial of any matter before it, the reasons for the denial shall be stated in the recommendation to the City Council. The records of the Planning Commission shall be a public record.
C. Technical Assistance; Salaries and Expenses: Subject to prior approval of the City Council and within limits set by appropriations or other funds made available, the Planning Commission may use such City staff, technicians and experts as may be deemed proper, and may incur such other expenses as may be necessary and proper for the conduct of its affairs.
Members of the Planning Commission shall receive no salaries or fees for their services thereon, but may receive necessary travel, per diem and other expenses while on official business for the Planning Commission if funds are available for this purpose. 1
D. Meetings of the Commission: 2
1. The Planning Commission shall hold at least one meeting each month. (Ord. 90, sec. 4, 2-17-76)
2. A meeting, to be official, must have a quorum present. Four (4) regular members shall constitute a quorum. (Ord. 135, sec. 1, 2-5-79)
3. All motions and resolutions must have the majority of votes of those members present to be official.
E. Council to Appropriate Necessary Moneys: The City Council shall make available to the Planning Commission such appropriations as it may see fit for fees and expenses necessary in the conduct of its work. (Ord. 90, sec. 4, 2-17-76)
1. For State law provisions setting the maximum salaries in political subdivisions, see M.S.A. 43.067; for per diem expenses of public agencies, see M.S.A. 15.0595.
2. See 1-5-2 of this City Code for proper procedures for meetings of public agencies and the open meeting requirements as provided by M.S.A. 471.705.