Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) No small scale solar energy system or device shall be installed or operated in the village except in compliance with this chapter.
(B) To the extent practicable, and in accordance with village ordinances, the accommodation of solar energy systems and equipment and the protection of access to sunlight for such equipment shall be encouraged in the application of the various review and approval provisions of the village code.
(C) Rooftop and building-mounted solar collectors. Rooftop and building-mounted solar collectors are permitted in all zoning districts in the village subject.
(D) Building-integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) systems. BIPV systems are permitted outright in all zoning districts.
(E) Ground-mounted and free standing solar collectors. Ground-mounted and free standing solar collectors are permitted as accessory structures in all zoning districts of the village, subject to the following conditions:
(1) Land use permits are required for the installation of all ground-mounted solar collectors;
(2) The location of the solar collector meets all applicable setback requirements for accessory structures in the zoning district in which it is located;
(3) The height of the solar collector and any mounts shall not exceed 15 feet when oriented at maximum tilt;
(4) Solar energy equipment shall be located in a manner to reasonably minimize view blockage for surrounding properties and shading of property to the north, while still providing adequate solar access for collectors; and
(5) Freestanding solar energy collectors shall be screened when possible and practicable through the use of architectural features, earth berms, landscaping, or other screening which will harmonize with the character of the property and surrounding area.
(F) Solar-thermal systems. Solar-thermal systems are permitted in all zoning districts.
(G) Solar energy systems and equipment shall be permitted only if they are determined by the village not to present any unreasonable safety risks, including, but not limited to, the following:
(1) Weight load;
(2) Wind resistance; and
(3) Ingress or egress in the event of fire or other emergency.
(Ord. 04-09-14, passed 11-10-2014) Penalty, see § 153.99