The council of said city is hereby authorized to decide and adjudge what constitutes a nuisance within the municipality, or within two miles thereof, when not within the limits of another municipality and may require and compel the person committing or maintaining the same, or any owner, agent, assignee, occupant or tenant, of any lot, premises, property, building or structure, upon or in which any nuisance may be, to abate and remove the same upon order from such municipal body, or from the board of health, or health officer, or other officer of the municipality acting with authority in the premises; and the council may prescribe by ordinance a penalty for the punishment of any such person who may refuse, fail or neglect to abate or remove any such nuisance within the time specified in the notice therefor.
   The council may also by its own officers, appointees and employees, abate and remove nuisances, after reasonable notice to the owner, occupant, tenant, agent or assignee to abate and remove such nuisance, and collect the expense thereof, with one per centum per month interest added from the date of said notice, from said owner, occupant, tenant, agent or assignee, by distress or sale in the same manner in which taxes levied upon real estate for the benefit of the municipality are authorized to be collected under this act; and the expense shall remain a lien upon said lot or part of lot the same as taxes levied upon real estate in the municipality, which lien is in addition to the remedy specified in this section and may be enforced as provided in Section Twenty-five of this act.
   In case of nonresident owners of real estate, such notice may be served upon any tenant, occupant, assignee or rental agent of said premises, or on such nonresident owner or infant or insane owner by publication thereof for not less than two consecutive weeks in a newspaper published in the municipality.  The abatement or removal of any such nuisance by the municipality, and at its expense, as herein provided, shall be prima facie proof that the said notice to the owner, occupant, tenant, agent or assignee was given as herein required.
   The council may require all owners, tenants and occupants of improved property, which may be located upon or near any street, road, alley, along which may extend any sewer or system of sewerage, which the municipality may construct, own or control, to connect with such sewer or system of sewerage, all drains, cesspools, sinks, privies or water closets, upon their respective properties, or premises, so that their contents may be made to empty into such sewer or system of sewerage.
   And in all cases where any tenant, occupant or agent is required to abate and remove any nuisance, under the provisions of this section, or comply with the provisions of any such ordinance as is mentioned herein, the expense thereof may be deducted out of the accruing or accrued rent of said property, or amount due said owner or agent, and such tenant, occupant or agent may recover the amount so paid from the owner, unless otherwise especially agreed upon between them.
   The council may by ordinance regulate the location, construction, repair, use, emptying, and cleaning of all water closets, privies, cesspools, sinks, plumbing, drains, yards, pens, stables and other places where offensive or dangerous substances or liquids are or may accumulate and may provide suitable penalties for the violation of such regulations which may be enforced against the owner, agents, assignees, occupant or tenant of any premises or structure where such  violation may occur.
   The council shall have authority and jurisdiction of and over the water reservoirs, pipe lines and property adjacent, and all other property of the city located in Mineral County, whether the same be within the corporate limits of said city or not, and for the protection and preservation of the same shall have authority to pass all necessary ordinances, rules and regulations and to provide penalties for the violation thereof; and the police judge, or officer exercising his functions, shall have jurisdiction to try offenders against such ordinances, and his warrant may be directed to any police officer of the city, or to any constable or the sheriff of Mineral County, and may be served and the offender arrested anywhere in said county.