Skip to code content (skip section selection)
In addition to such acts of the Council as are required by statute or by this Charter to be by ordinance, every act of the Council establishing a fine or other penalty or providing for the expenditure of funds or for the contracting of indebtedness shall be by ordinance.
Among the acts of City Council, the following will require enactment by ordinance:
(1) Adopt or amend an administrative code or establish, alter or abolish any City department, office or agency.
(2) Provide for a fine or other penalty or establish a rule or regulation for violation of which a fine or other penalty is imposed.
(3) Levy taxes.
(4) Grant, renew or extend a franchise.
(5) Regulate the rate charged for its services by a public utility.
(6) Authorize the borrowing of money.
(7) Convey or lease or authorize the conveyance or lease of any lands of the City.
(8) Regulate land use and development; and
(9) Amend or repeal any ordinance previously adopted.
Acts other than those referred to in the preceding sentence may be done either by ordinance or by resolution as required by the Ohio Revised Code.