Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Floor Space. Every dwelling unit shall contain at least 150 square feet of floor space for the first occupant thereof, and at least 100 additional square feet of floor space for every additional occupant thereof. The floor space to be calculated on the basis of net floor area.
(b) Sleeping Areas. In all dwellings, every room occupied for sleeping purposes by one occupant shall contain at least seventy square feet of floor space. Every room occupied for sleeping purposes by more than one occupant shall contain at least fifty square feet of floor space for each occupant thereof.
(c) Bathroom Access. No dwelling or dwelling unit containing two or more sleeping rooms shall have such room arrangements that access to a bathroom or water closet compartment, intended for use by occupants of more than one sleeping room, can be had only by going through another sleeping room, nor shall room arrangements be such that access to a sleeping room can be had only by going through another sleeping room, bathroom or water closet compartment.
(d) Ceiling Height. All habitable rooms located within a dwelling shall have an average ceiling height of not less than seven feet, six inches in at least fifty percent of the net floor area with no portion less than five feet in height.
(e) Basement and Cellars. No basement or cellar space shall be used as a habitable room or dwelling unit unless:
(1) The floor and walls are impervious to leakage of underground and surface run-off water and are insulated against dampness;
(2) The total window area in each room is equal to at least the minimum window area sizes as required by Section 1365.02 (a);
(3) The required minimum area is located entirely above grade of the ground adjoining such window area;
(4) The total of openable window area in each room is equal to at least the minimum as required under Section 1365.02 (b);
(5) A basement or cellar space, when occupied for living, shall meet all minimum standards and requirements of the most recently adopted Ohio Residential Code at the time of the initial licensing.
(6) Furnace and hot water tank areas are to be completely separated from habitable areas by the installation of fire rated materials in an approved manner;
(7) Adequate makeup air is to be provided in an approved manner;
(8) Two means of egress shall be provided. One means of egress shall be in compliance with the provisions of Section 1365.01 (g). The second means of egress can be either the same or a window whose area shall equal a minimum of 5.8 square feet and the window sill located no more than forty-four inches from floor level.
(Ord. 2016-40. Passed 4-20-16.)