Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The purpose of these standards is to encourage cost effective building methods to conserve fossil fuels and water. Except for remodeling projects for which the Planning Commission waives these standards upon a finding of extreme hardship, each dwelling unit and/or separate occupancy must have a minimum point score of twenty points. Points will be awarded as follows:
(A) Cost effective Energy Option Points. The items in this subsection have been chosen due to their relatively short payback period. The cost of these items is expected to be paid back by the resultant energy savings within approximately ten years.
(1) Hot water savers.
(a) 1 point - aerators and flow reducing showerheads with reduction to no more than two and one half gallons per minute.
(b) 1 point - hot water heaters with insulation of R 5 or better.
(c) 2 points - hot water heaters with direct vents, a minimum efficiency of 75%, and an insulated tank of R 6 or better.
(d) 1 point - hot water pipe insulation of R 4 or better.
(2) For natural gas heat, efficient space heating equipment is installed.
(a) 3 points - A minimum Annualized Fuel Utilization Efficiency of 86%.
(b) 4 points - A minimum Annualized Fuel Utilization Efficiency of 91%.
(c) 5 points - A minimum Annualized Fuel Utilization Efficiency of 96%.
(3) 2 points - Natural cooling or a whole house fan to exhaust warm air.
(4) 1 point - Automatic setback thermostats with at least two setbacks per day.
(5) 2 points - Automatic setback thermostats with at least four setback periods per day.
(6) 2 points - Vapor permeable infiltration barrier.
(7) 1 point - Insulated exterior doors of R 9 or better.
(8) 2 points - For attached dwelling units, and individual energy meter is installed for each unit.
(9) High performance glazing will receive:
(a) 2 points - Overall coefficient of heat transmission (U) = .40
(b) 3 points - Overall coefficient of heat transmission (U) = .35
(c) 4 points - Overall coefficient of heat transmission (U) = .30
(10) Efficient appliances:
1 point - for any two of the following items:
(a) Energy saving dishwasher (better than state minimums).
(b) Energy saving clothes washer (better than state minimums).
(c) Energy savings refrigerator or freezer (better than state minimums).
(d) Energy saving room or central air conditioner (better than state minimums).
(11) Innovative energy option points.
The items in this subsection are considered to be more innovative in nature. Their point value is based on relative energy savings only. For items not included in the energy options and for energy conservation proposals that go beyond the limits set for each option, a performance calculation procedure is available: one point will be awarded for every five million British thermal units in energy savings per year over the same size and type of building built to the minimum requirements of this code.
(a) 1 point - Insulation is increased at least twenty five percent above R 10 for foundations.
(b) 2 points - Insulation is increased at least twenty five percent above R 19 for walls.
(c) 1 point - Insulation is increased at least twenty five percent above R 30 for ceilings.
(d) Movable insulation of R 2 or better is installed on:
(1) 0.5 points - For one quarter of glazing area.
(2) 1.0 point - For one half of glazing area.
(3) 1.5 points - For three quarters of glazing area.
(4) 2.0 points - For all of glazing area.
(12) Water conservation:
(1) 2 points - 2.0 gallon flush maximum.
(1) 2 points - flow reducing aerators on all faucets.
(1) 1 point - For water saving washing machines.
(Ord. 1994-95. Passed 9-21-94.)