Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Purpose: This code has been adopted to serve as an overlay district to existing zoning districts in the central city area. This Code does not replace the present zoning classifications in the overlay district nor does it amend or modify the specific provisions set forth for those districts. Qualifying projects, as defined herein, may use the provisions of this overlay district as alternative standards for development. This purpose is met by:
(1) Dividing the City of Kent into such districts as may be necessary to provide special protection to sensitive environmental land, to promote the redevelopment and rehabilitation of deteriorating neighborhoods, and to promote the revitalization of the downtown area.
(2) Controlling and regulating the growth of the City of Kent, concentrating more intense development in areas with high development potential, such as downtown; limiting development in areas of low capability, such as in environmentally sensitive areas; encouraging mixed use in the Central Business District and adjacent areas; and encouraging efficient use of the City's existing utility infrastructure.
(3) Directing and controlling, through the establishment of performance standards, the type, distribution and intensity of development.
(4) Protecting landowners from adverse impact of adjoining developments.
(5) Balancing the interest of the general public in the City of Kent and those of individual property owners.
(B) Abrogation and Greater Restrictions: This code is not intended to repeal, abrogate or impair any existing easements, covenants or deed restrictions.
(C) Interpretation: In the interpretation and application of this code, all provisions shall be:
(1) Liberally construed in favor of the governing body; and
(2) Deemed neither to limit nor repeal any other powers granted under state statutes.
(Ord. 1994-95. Passed 9-21-94.)