Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Position established. The position of City Administrator is hereby established.
(B) Appointment and removal. The City Administrator shall be appointed by the Council for a term determined by contract. He or she shall not be removed except by affirmative action taken by the Council subject to Minnesota law.
(C) Qualifications. The City Administrator shall be selected solely on the basis of his or her executive and administrative qualifications with special reference both to his or her experience, formal education, as well as his or her knowledge of accepted practices pertaining to the duties of his or her office.
(D) Duties. The City Administrator shall be the chief administrative officer of the city and he or she shall be responsible to the Council for the proper administration of all affairs of the city and to that end shall have the power and shall be required to:
(1) Supervise the administration of all Departments, offices and divisions of the city except as otherwise provided by law and carry out any other responsibilities placed under his or her jurisdiction by this chapter or by subsequent Council action. He or she shall interview and screen all prospective city employees as permitted by law and shall make recommendations for terminating and suspending employees;
(2) Develop and issue all administrative rules, regulations and procedures necessary to insure the proper functioning of all departments and offices under his or her jurisdiction as permitted by law and Council approval;
(3) Prepare and submit an annual budget to the Council and keep the Council advised of the financial condition of the city and make such recommendations as he or she may from time to time determine desirable and necessary;
(4) Attend and participate in discussions at all meetings of the Council and other official bodies as directed by the Council. The City Administrator shall also represent the city at all official or semi-official functions as may be directed by the Council and not in conflict with the prerogatives of the Mayor. The City Administrator shall be entitled to notice of all regular and special meetings of the Council;
(5) See that all laws and provisions of the city code are duly enforced;
(6) Make or let purchases and contracts and to receive estimates, quotations, sealed bids, purchases or contracts and present them to the Council for official action;
(7) Recommend from time to time the adoption of such measures as he or she may deem necessary or expedient for the health, safety and welfare of the community or for the improvement of the administration; and
(8) Perform such other duties as may be required by the Council and consistent with Minnesota Statutes and the city code.
(E) Compensation. The City Administrator shall receive such compensation as the Council shall set from time to time.
(Prior Code, § 2.09)