Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Controlled Area:
1. Every occupant of a dwelling unit or rooming unit shall keep in a clean, safe and sanitary condition that part of the dwelling unit, rooming unit or premises thereof which the occupant occupies and controls.
2. Every floor and floor covering shall be kept reasonably clean and sanitary.
3. Every wall and ceiling shall be kept reasonably clean and free of dirt or greasy film.
4. No dwelling or the premises thereof shall be used for the storage or handling of solid waste.
5. No dwelling or the premises thereof shall be used for the storage or handling of dangerous or hazardous materials. (1978 Code §17-8; amd. 1994 Code)
6. No occupant shall keep, store or maintain outdoors any indoor upholstered furniture, household furniture or household furnishing not manufactured for outdoor use, including, but not limited to, upholstered chairs and couches. "Upholstered furniture" means any furniture constructed with stuffing or cushions or springs, not intended for outdoor use. The term "outdoor" includes a porch. However, the use, storage or placement of household appliances, household furniture or household furnishings on a porch is not prohibited if the porch is completely enclosed by fully intact glass or fully intact screens. The following shall constitute an affirmative defense to any alleged violation of this provision: a) that the furniture was temporarily placed outside during the move of a resident; or b) that the furniture was temporarily placed outside during the hours of six o'clock (6:00) A.M. to six o'clock (6:00) P.M. in order that it be offered for sale at a yard or garage sale and that a sign visible from the right-of-way is placed on or near the furniture indicating that it is for sale. The second defense is not available if the furniture is located outside for more than two (2) days in any six (6) month period. (Ord. 08-4315, 9-9-2008)
B. Plumbing Fixtures: The occupants of a dwelling unit shall keep all supplied plumbing fixtures therein in a clean and sanitary condition and shall be responsible for the exercise of reasonable care, proper use and proper operation thereof.
C. Extermination Of Pests: Every occupant of a single-family dwelling shall be responsible for the extermination of any insects, rodents or other pests therein or on the premises; every occupant of a dwelling containing more than one dwelling unit or rooming unit shall be responsible for such extermination within the unit occupied whenever said unit is the only one infested. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this subsection, whenever infestation is caused by failure of the owner to maintain a dwelling in a reasonably rodentproof or reasonably insectproof condition, extermination shall be the responsibility of the owner.
D. Storage And Disposal Of Solid Waste: Every occupant of a dwelling shall dispose of solid waste and any other organic waste in a clean and sanitary manner by placing it in the supplied disposal facilities or storage containers required by this Code 1 .
E. Use And Operation Of Supplied Heating Facilities: Every occupant of a dwelling unit or rooming unit shall be responsible for the exercise of reasonable care, proper use and proper operation of supplied heating facilities. No combustible material shall be stored within three feet (3') of a fuel burning furnace and/or fuel burning water heater.
F. Electrical Wiring: No temporary wiring shall be used. Approved extension cords may be used but shall not lie beneath floor coverings or extend through doorways, transoms or similar apertures and structural elements or attached thereto. The occupant shall not overload the circuitry of the dwelling unit or rooming unit.
G. Supplied Facilities: Every occupant of a dwelling unit shall keep all supplied fixtures therein in a clean and sanitary condition and shall be responsible for the exercise of reasonable care, proper use and proper operation thereof.
H. Cooking Or Eating In Rooming Units: No occupant of a rooming unit shall prepare or eat meals or store cooking utensils in the rooming unit unless an approved kitchen or dining room is contained within the rooming unit. The cooking and eating of meals may take place in dwellings containing a rooming unit or units if the provisions of subsections 17-5-18G and H of this chapter are complied with.
I. Occupancy Control:
1. A dwelling unit shall not be occupied by a number of persons greater than allowed by the city zoning ordinance.
2. No room shall be used as a habitable room unless certified as a habitable room at the time the certificate of structure compliance is issued or amended.
J. Fire Protection Equipment: All fire extinguishers and early warning fire protection systems shall be maintained in good working condition at all times. fire extinguishers shall be mounted and meet the requirements of the city fire code. (1978 Code §17-8; amd. 1994 Code)
1. See section 16-3H-7 of this Code.