Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(1) The flood hazard areas of this city are subject to periodic inundation which result in loss of life and property, health and safety hazards, disruption of commerce and governmental services, extraordinary public expenditures for flood protection and relief, and impairment of the tax base, all which adversely affect the public health, safety, and general welfare.
(2) These flood losses are caused by the cumulative effect of obstructions in floodplains causing increased flood height and velocity, and by the location in flood hazard areas of uses vulnerable to floods or hazardous to other lands which are inadequately elevated, flood-proofed, or otherwise protected from flood damage.
(B) Purpose. The purposes of the flood protection development controls are:
(1) Restrict or prohibit uses which are dangerous to health, safety, and property due to water erosion hazards, or which result in damaging increases in erosion or in flood height or velocity.
(2) Require that uses vulnerable to floods, including facilities which serve such uses, be protected against flood damage at the time of initial construction.
(3) Control the alteration of natural floodplains stream channels, and natural protective barriers which accommodate or channel flood waters.
(4) Control filling, grading, dredging, and other development which may increase erosion or flood damage.
(5) Prevent or regulate the construction of flood barriers which will unnaturally divert floodwaters or which may increase flood hazards to other areas.
(Ord. 2007-O-17, passed 10-1-07)