Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Kenton County Water District Number One will extend its mains upon proper application to serve a customer within the city service area provided that, in the sole opinion of the District, the extension is feasible, practical, and not contrary to good operating practice, and will be in accordance with the following rules and with the express approval of the District:
(1) When the request is for the extension of a water main along an existing street where the property has been wholly or partly developed, and when the District's estimate of the net return from water service delivered directly from the proposed extension and computed so as to be amortized over a 30-year period with a reasonable interest rate thereon, then upon approval of the District, the requested extension will be installed by the District at its own expense.
(2) When the District's estimate of the annual net return for water service for water delivered directly from the proposed extension and computed at the amortization over a 30-year period with a reasonable interest rate thereon, would be less than the estimated cost of the proposed extension, then, with the express approval of the District, the proposed extension will be made after the applicant or customers shall have paid to the District, an amount equal to the estimated cost of the extension, less the estimated net return from water service amortized over a 30-year period with reasonable interest thereon. The amount thus paid by the applicant or customers shall be retained by the District as a customer contribution.
(3) Prior to construction of a proposed extension, the applicant or customers shall pay to the District the tap-in fee plus the customer contribution provided herein, if any, and shall agree to pay for all water consumed. In the event the customer does not use the water service thereafter, a monthly minimum bill shall be paid by the customer to the District, commencing when the water line is completed and available for service.
(4) Where additional customers desire water service from the extension at a later date, that customer shall pay to the District the same customer contribution as previously paid by each customer when the extension was constructed. In this event, the original customers will be returned their pro rata share of the additional customer contribution, the same to be without interest.
(B) All persons desiring to construct water mains and connect them to the District's system in the city service area shall, prior to the commencement of construction, abide by the following rules:
(1) Submit detailed plans of same to the District for approval. These plans must be prepared by a civil engineer registered in the state, conform to the requirements and specifications of the State and County Health Departments and the Kentucky Inspection Bureau, and not interfere with the operation and plans for expansion of the District, and shall conform to the location, type, and size of mains prescribed by the District and conform to all other reasonable regulations of the District.
(2) The District shall not agree to assume maintenance and repairs of water mains constructed by others unless full control and ownership of those mains is conveyed to the District, and the contractor agrees in writing to assume full responsibility for maintenance and repairs to the water main for a period of 12 months from the construction date.
(3) The District reserves the right to require all service or transmission mains constructed hereunder to be at least as large in diameter as the main to which it is connected and shall be a minimum of six inches in diameter in subdivisions and improved areas and shall be greater in diameter where the District believes the future growth of the area warrants.
(C) Failure to comply with any of these rules and regulations shall be sufficient justification for the Water District to discontinue the service.
(Ord. 1-8-75, passed 8-14-75)