Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Purpose: This section sets forth procedures for considering and approving a sign permit.
B. Authority: The Zoning Administrator is authorized to issue sign permits as provided in this section.
C. Initiation: Any person may apply for a sign permit as provided in subsection D1 of this section.
D. Procedure: An application for a sign permit shall be considered and processed as provided in this subsection.
1. A complete application shall be submitted to the Zoning Administrator in a form established by the Administrator along with any fee established by the City's schedule of fees. The application shall include at least the following information:
a. The name, address and telephone number of the applicant and the applicant's agent, if any;
b. A statement by the applicant demonstrating how the sign permit request meets the approval standards of subsection E of this section;
c. A plot plan showing the following:
(1) Applicant's name;
(2) Site address;
(3) Property boundaries and dimensions;
(4) Layout of existing and proposed buildings, parking, landscaping, and utilities; and
(5) Adjoining property lines and uses within one hundred feet (100') of the subject property; and
d. An elevation drawing showing:
(1) Type of sign;
(2) Sign location in relation to nearest property line;
(3) Sign face design, if an on premises sign;
(4) Sign height;
(5) Sign face area;
(6) Sign illumination details; and
(7) Reflective elements and materials.
2. After the application is determined to be complete, the Zoning Administrator shall approve, approve with conditions or deny the application pursuant to the standards set forth in subsection E of this section. Any conditions of approval shall be limited to conditions needed to conform the sign permit to approval standards.
3. After making a decision, the Zoning Administrator shall give the applicant written notice of the decision.
4. A record of all sign permits shall be maintained in the Office of the Zoning Administrator.
E. Approval Standards: The following standards shall apply to the issuance of a sign permit:
1. A sign shall conform to applicable provisions of chapter 36 of this title.
2. All signs shall be inspected by a designated officer of the City immediately after installation. The permittee shall request an inspection within five (5) business days after installation. Any sign not conforming to the requirements of chapter 36 of this title shall be made to conform or be removed. (Ord. 03-5-1, 5-1-2003, eff. 6-1-2003)
F. Appeal Of Decision: Any person adversely affected by a decision of the Zoning Administrator regarding a sign permit may appeal to the Appeal Board in accordance with the provisions of section 10-7-19 of this chapter. (Ord. 2018-12, 10-18-2018)
G. Effect Of Approval: Approval of a sign permit shall authorize an applicant to:
1. Construct the sign as indicated on the permit, if no building and electrical permits are required.
2. If building and electrical permits are required, such permits shall be obtained prior to construction.
H. Amendments: The procedure for amending any sign permit shall be the same as the original procedure set forth in this section.
I. Revocation: A sign permit may be revoked as provided in section 10-9-6 of this title.
J. Expiration: A sign permit shall expire and have no further force or effect if the sign authorized by the permit is not installed within one hundred eighty (180) days after approval. (Ord. 03-5-1, 5-1-2003, eff. 6-1-2003)