Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Purpose: This section sets forth procedures for reviewing permitted uses in public facility, commercial, business and industrial zones to determine compliance with applicable requirements of this title. Such review is not required for uses in agricultural, residential, and open space zones.
B. Authority: The zoning administrator is authorized to review and approve applications for permitted uses in public facility, commercial, business and industrial zones as set forth in this section.
C. Initiation: A property owner, the owner's agent, or a lessee may request a permitted use review as provided in subsection D1 of this section.
D. Procedure: Permitted use applications shall be considered and processed as provided in this subsection.
1. A complete application shall be submitted to the zoning administrator in a form established by the administrator along with any fee established by the city's schedule of fees. The application shall include at least the following information:
a. The name, address and telephone number of the applicant and the applicant's agent, if any;
b. The address and parcel identification of the subject property;
c. The zone, zone boundaries and present use of the subject property;
d. A description of the proposed use;
e. A plot plan showing the following:
(1) Applicant's name;
(2) Site address;
(3) Property boundaries and dimensions;
(4) Layout of existing and proposed buildings, parking, landscaping, and utilities; and
(5) Adjoining property lines and uses within one hundred feet (100') of the subject property; and
f. Other information needed to demonstrate the permitted use conforms to applicable provisions of this title.
2. After an application is determined to be complete, the Zoning Administrator shall approve, approve with conditions, or deny the application pursuant to the standards set forth in subsection E of this section. Any conditions of approval shall be limited to conditions needed to conform the permitted use to approval standards.
3. After making a decision, the Zoning Administrator shall give the applicant written notice of the decision.
4. A record of all permitted use reviews shall be maintained in the Office of the Zoning Administrator.
E. Approval Standards: The following standards shall apply to approval of a permitted use. A permitted use shall:
1. Be allowed as a permitted use in the applicable zone;
2. Conform to development standards of the applicable zone;
3. Conform to applicable regulations of general applicability and regulations for specific uses set forth in this title; and
4. Conform to any other applicable requirements of this Code. (Ord. 03-5-1, 5-1-2003, eff. 6-1-2003)
F. Appeal Of Decision: Any person adversely affected by a decision of the Zoning Administrator regarding a permitted use review may appeal to the Appeal Board in accordance with the provisions of section 10-7-19 of this chapter. (Ord. 2018-12, 10-18-2018)
G. Effect Of Approval: Approval of a permitted use shall authorize an applicant to engage in the permitted use subject to any conditions of approval. Approval of a permitted use shall not be deemed an approval of any conditional use permit, site plan or other permit. Approval of such permits shall be obtained in accordance with applicable provisions of this title.
H. Amendments: The procedure for amending any permitted use approval shall be the same as the original procedure set forth in this section.
I. Revocation: A permitted use approval may be revoked as provided in section 10-9-6 of this title.
J. Expiration: A permitted use approval shall expire and have no further force or effect if the building, activity, construction or occupancy authorized by the approval is not commenced within twelve (12) months after approval. (Ord. 03-5-1, 5-1-2003, eff. 6-1-2003)