Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Specified: Nuisances shall include, but shall not be limited to, the following:
1. Rubbish: Keeping or depositing on, about or over property or premises, or maintaining or allowing to remain on said property or premises, any of the following:
a. Rubbish, refuse, junk, trash or debris.
b. Abandoned, discarded or unused furniture, equipment, automobiles, stoves, refrigerators, freezers, construction materials, cans, containers or other objects not being used.
2. Befouling Water: Befouling water in any spring, stream, well or water source supplying water for culinary purposes.
3. Privies, Cesspools: Allowing any privy vault or cesspool, or other individual wastewater disposal system, to become a menace to health or a source of odors or contamination to air or water.
4. Garbage Containers, Offensive: Permitting any garbage container to remain on the premises when it has become unclean and offensive.
5. Garbage Accumulation: Allowing vegetable waste, garbage, litter, filth or refuse of any nature to accumulate within or upon any property, except when it is temporarily deposited for immediate removal.
6. Manure Accumulation: Permitting the accumulation of manure in any stable, stall, corral, feed yard, yard or in any other building or area in which any animals are kept.
7. Slaughterhouses, Feed Yards: Permitting any slaughterhouse, market, meat shop, stable, feed yard or other place or building wherein any animals are slaughtered, kept, fed or sold to remain unclean or in any state or condition detrimental to health or creating a nuisance because of odors, or which is conducive to the breeding and proliferation of flies or rodents.
8. Discharging Offensive Water Or Liquid Waste: Discharging or placing any offensive water, chemical spray, liquid waste or refuse of any kind into any street, alley, sidewalk, gutter, stream, wash, natural watercourse, ditch, canal or any vacant lot or which, as the result of continued discharge, will render the place of discharge offensive or likely to become so.
9. Collecting Grease, Offensive Matter: Keeping or collecting any stale or putrid grease or other offensive matter.
10. Flies And Mosquitos: Having or permitting upon any premises any fly or mosquito producing condition.
11. Public Drinking Vessels: Keeping any drinking vessel for public use without providing a method of decontamination between uses.
12. Ablutions Near Drinking Fountain: Permitting or performing any ablutions in or near any public drinking fountain.
13. Dwellings Or Places Of Employment; Sanitary Condition: Failing to furnish any dwelling house, boarding house, factory, office or other place of employment with such privy vaults, water closets, sinks or other facilities as may be required to maintain the same in sanitary condition.
14. Refusal To Clean Septic Tanks: Neglecting or refusing to discontinue use of, clean out, disinfect and fill up all septic tanks, privy vaults and cesspools or other individual wastewater disposal systems within twenty (20) days after notice from an enforcement officer or official of the city.
15. Stagnant Water; Offensive Substances: Permitting any lot or excavation site to become the repository of stagnant water or any decaying or offensive substances.
16. Obstructing Public Ways, Watercourses, Parks: Obstructing or tending to obstruct or interfere with or render dangerous to passage or travel any street or sidewalks, lake, stream, drainage, canal or basin, or any public park without first obtaining the written permission of the city council.
B. Restroom Or Sewer Facilities: In addition to the enumeration of nuisances in subsection A of this section, all restroom or sewer facilities which are not constructed and maintained in accordance with Utah law and city ordinances are hereby declared to be a nuisance and are subject to abatement as prescribed hereafter.
C. Obstruction Of Waterway: In addition to the enumeration of nuisances in subsection A of this section, the obstruction of any drainage system, canal, ditch, conduit or other watercourse of any kind or nature, natural or artificial, so as to cause the water to back up and overflow therefrom, or to become unsanitary, is hereby declared to be a nuisance.
D. Unsheltered Storage: In addition to the enumeration of nuisances in subsection A of this section, the unsheltered storage of old, unused, stripped and junked machinery, implements, equipment or personal property of any kind which is no longer safely usable for the purposes for which it was manufactured, for a period of thirty (30) days or more (except in licensed junkyards) within the city, is hereby declared to be a nuisance.
E. Agricultural Use Of Property Exempt: Notwithstanding any provision of this chapter, the term "nuisance" shall not be construed to apply to any agricultural activity or operation conducted in accordance with sound agricultural practices and which does not violate any federal, state or local law or regulation relating to an alleged nuisance. (Ord. 01-4-5, 4-5-2001)