Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The owner and occupant of a property shall keep and maintain the property in compliance with the following requirements.
(A) Exterior property areas. Exterior property areas, which means all areas of a property which are exterior and not related to any portion of a building, structure or accessory structure located on the property, shall be maintained as follows.
(1) The exterior property areas shall be kept and maintained in a clean, safe and sanitary condition.
(2) The property shall be graded and maintained to prevent the erosion of soil and accumulation of water thereon, or within any building located thereon, except in approved water retention areas.
(3) Private sidewalks, driveways and similar areas shall be kept in good repair and maintained free from hazardous conditions.
(C) Exterior of buildings, structures and accessory structures. The exterior of any building, structure or accessory structure shall be maintained in good repair so as not to pose a threat to public health, safety or general welfare.
(1) Exterior surfaces. Exterior wood surfaces shall be protected from the elements and decay by maintained paint, stain or other protective covering or treatment. Peeling, flaking and chipped paint shall be removed and the surfaces repainted or otherwise covered by other protective wood covering. Joints in siding materials and between siding and other features shall be maintained weather-resistant. Metal surfaces subject to rust or corrosion shall be stabilized and treated to inhibit future rust or corrosion. For purposes of this chapter, if 20% or more of a wall or other surface area, such as fascia, soffits, rake, has the protective coating peeling, flaking, chipping or deteriorated, then the wall or surface area shall be restored to a protected condition.
(2) Foundations, exterior walls, roofs and drainage. Exterior walls shall be free from holes, breaks and loose, missing or rotting materials. The roof and flashing shall be maintained weather- resistant so as not to allow moisture to enter the building. Roof drainage systems shall be maintained in good working order to perform the intended function. Roof water shall not be discharged in a manner that creates a public nuisance.
(3) Windows, doors, screens. Every window, exterior door and all other exterior openings, shall be substantially tight, shall be kept in sound condition and repair, and shall not be covered by construction materials such as tarps, plywood sheets or other material not designed to be used as windows, doors and frames. Every window, door and frame shall be constructed and maintained in relation to the adjacent wall construction as to completely exclude rain, wind, vermin and rodents from entering the building.
(4) Stairways, decks, porches and balconies. Stairways, decks, porches, and balconies, and attachments hereto, shall be maintained structurally sound, in good repair, capable of supporting the imposed loads, able to perform the intended function and maintained weather-resistant.
(Ord. 172, passed 3-22-2005)