Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The following building permit fees shall apply for those items listed in this subsection. Other fees listed throughout this section may apply, as well, depending upon the project:
(a) Residential and non-residential building permit fees - new construction. Residential and non-residential building permit fees for new construction shall be based on the International Code Council's (ICC) Permit Fee Schedule, as amended, utilizing the ICC gross area modifier and type of construction factor contained therein. Appeals of a revised cost estimate shall be made to the City Manager.
(b) Residential and non-residential building permit fees-renovations/additions. Residential and non-residential building permit fees for renovations and/or additions shall be determined by taking the actual cost of the renovation and/or addition and multiplying the same by the ICC permit fee multiplier, adjusted by using a three year construction cost average. The minimum permit fee shall be $100.
(c) Residential and non-residential plan review fees. Plans submitted to the Building Inspector shall be accompanied by a plan review fee as set forth below:
(1) Plan review fees for residential renovations shall be determined as follows:
A. For projects with a construction value under thirty thousand dollars ($30,000.00), there shall be no plan review fee.
B. For projects with a construction value above thirty thousand dollars ($30,000.00), there shall be a fee of one hundred dollars ($100.00).
(2) Plan review fees for new residential construction and for new non-residential construction and/or renovations shall be determined as follows:
A. For construction values up to thirty thousand dollars ($30,000), a fee of one hundred dollars ($100.00);
B. For construction values between thirty thousand dollars ($30,000) and up to five hundred thousand dollars ($500,000), the fee shall be determined by taking the value and multiplying it by .0015;
C. For construction values over five hundred thousand dollars ($500,000), the fee shall be determined by taking the value and multiplying it by .0010.
(d) Soil erosion control permits or waivers. A soil erosion control permit or waiver must be obtained from the Livingston County Drain Commissioner, after applying for a building permit.
(e) Nonstructural alterations. Permits shall not be required for nonstructural alterations costing five hundred dollars ($500.00) or less pursuant to the Howell City Zoning Code.
(f) Plumbing, mechanical and electrical permits and fees. Permits for plumbing, mechanical and electrical work must be obtained from, and fees, if any, paid to, the Livingston County Building Department.
(g) Building permits issued by the Building Official may be issued by said official upon the filing of a refundable performance bond as set forth herein. The bond shall be returned in full so long as the work as set out in the building permit is completed while the permit remains valid. The bond will be forfeited in full if the work set out in the permit is not completed while the permit is valid. The bond amounts are hereby set out as follows:
(1) A performance bond in the amount of one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) cash for a new single family dwelling;
(2) A performance bond in the amount of two hundred and fifty dollars ($250.00) cash for a construction project costing more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) but less than four thousand nine hundred ninety-nine dollars ($4,999);
(3) A performance bond in the amount of seven hundred and fifty dollars ($750.00) cash for a construction project costing more than five thousand dollars ($5,000) but less than fourteen thousand nine hundred ninety-nine dollars ($14,999);
(4) A performance bond in the amount of five percent (5%) of the total project cost for a construction project costing more than fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000) up to a maximum bond of $5,000.
(5) Performance bonds shall not be required in the following circumstances:
i. Any project that has gone through site plan review and has provided the required review escrow required under Section 1450.09.
ii. Any sign permit issued under Section 1450.03.
iii. Any permit that is issued for interior renovations only to existing commercial structures.
(Ord. 723. Passed 11-19-01; Ord. 871. Passed 5-20-13; Ord. 905. Passed 7-25-16; Ord. 918, Passed 10-8-18.)