(a)   The owner of all houses, buildings or properties used for human occupancy, employment, recreation or other purpose, situated within the city abutting on any street, alley or right-of-way in which there is now located or may in the future be located near public water mains, is hereby required at his or her own expense to make connection to such public water main.
   (b)   Before any connection is made to the city’s water system, an application must be made in writing to the City Clerk by the owner of the premises, or his or her authorized representative, for a permit to make such connection.