Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The City Council shall approve the issuance of the license applied for if it is satisfied that the applicant has met the following requirements:
(1) The applicant is a fit person to engage in such business;
(2) The vehicles and equipment are such as are consistent with the safety of the public;
(3) The applicant has indemnity and public liability insurance covering the operation of each vehicle, to protect such operator against liability to passengers and third persons for personal injury suffered or sustained by them as a result of the operation of such transportation services, and said policies to be in an amount of not less than $100,000 for damage to any one person and not less than $300,000 for damage to more than one person, injured as the result of any one accident, and not less than $50,000 for property damage resulting from any one accident. Such policies shall be maintained during the term of the license; and
(4) In the case of an application to operate a bus or buses, the City Council may request changes or alterations in the proposed route or routes, time schedule, rate of fare or stops before granting a license. After the license has been issued, the operator shall not materially change or alter the approved route or routes, time schedules, rate of fare or stops without first receiving the approval of the City Council to make such change.
(B) Each applicant must comply with the following:
(1) Be of the age of 18 years or older;
(2) Be free from any impairment that would affect applicant’s ability to properly operate a vehicle;
(3) Be able to read and write the English language;
(4) Make a sworn statement giving full name, residence, length of time applicant has resided in the city, previous employment history, whether applicant has ever been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor, and whether applicant has been previously licensed as a transportation driver, and if so, where and when, and whether applicant’s driver’s license has ever been revoked, and for what cause; and
(5) Each person licensed under this chapter shall have such license in the applicant’s/driver’s possession whenever applicant/driver is engaged in driving a vehicle, and shall exhibit the same for inspection whenever applicant/driver is requested to do so by a police officer.
(Ord. 1188, passed 4-3-2018)