Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Bicycle registration.
(1) Every owner of a bicycle who is a resident of the city may register with the Police Department name, address, serial number, make, style and general description of the bicycle.
(2) No person who resides in the city shall ride or propel a bicycle on any street or any public path or trail unless the bicycle has been registered in accordance with this section.
(B) Mechanical condition.
(1) The Police Department shall have authority to inspect all bicycles for mechanical fitness prior to registration.
(2) Every bicycle, when in use at nighttime, shall be equipped with a lamp on the front which shall emit a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front and with a red reflector on the rear of a type which shall be visible from all distances from 50 feet to 300 feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful upper beams of headlamps on a motor vehicle. A lamp emitting a red light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear may be used in addition to the red reflector.
(3) Every bicycle shall be equipped with a brake which will enable the operator to make the braked wheel skid on dry, level, clean pavement.
(Prior Code, § 5-A-03) (Ord. 1219, passed 11-2-2020) Penalty, see § 10.99