Skip to code content (skip section selection)
373.05 LIGHTS, SIGNAL DEVICES, BRAKES ON BICYCLES AND TRICYCLES.
(a) Every bicycle or electric bicycle when in use at the times specified in Section 337.02, shall be equipped with the following:
(1) A lamp on the front that shall emit a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front;
(2) A red reflector on the rear of a type approved by the Ohio Director of Public Safety that shall be visible from all distances from 100 feet to 600 feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of head lamps on a motor vehicle;
(3) A lamp emitting a red light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear shall be used in addition to the red reflector;
(4) An essentially colorless reflector on the front of a type approved by the Director;
(5) Either with tires with retroreflective sidewalls or with an essentially colorless or amber reflector mounted on the spokes of the front wheel and an essentially colorless or red reflector mounted on the spokes of the rear wheel. Each reflector shall be visible on each side of the wheel from a distance of 600 feet when directly in front of lawful lower beams of head lamps on a motor vehicle. Retroreflective tires or reflectors shall be of a type approved by the Director.
(b) No person shall operate a bicycle, tricycle or electric bicycle unless it is equipped with a bell or other device capable of giving a signal audible for a distance of at least 100 feet, except that a bicycle or tricycle shall not be equipped with nor shall any person use upon a bicycle or tricycle any siren or whistle.
(c) Every bicycle, tricycle or electric bicycle shall be equipped with an adequate brake when used on a street or highway. (ORC 4511.56)