Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Creation. The Municipal Court building security fund (referred to in this section as the fund) is hereby created. All monies deposited into the fund shall be expended in accordance with this section.
(B) Imposition of security fee. Any defendant convicted in the Municipal Court shall be charged and shall pay as a cost of court, in addition to all other costs of court, a $3 security fee. For purposes of this section, a defendant is considered convicted if:
(1) A judgment and sentence is imposed on the defendant through:
(a) A plea of guilty or no contest; or
(b) A trial by judge or jury on a plea of not guilty where the defendant is found to be guilty;
(2) The defendant receives community supervision, including deferred adjudication; or
(3) The court defers final disposition of the defendant’s case.
(C) Deposit of fee into the fund; fund administration; use of fee. The Municipal Court Clerk shall collect the security fee, pay the fee to the Finance Director, and the fee shall be deposited by the Finance Director into the fund. The fund shall be administered under the direction of the City Council. The fund may be used only to finance items when used for the purpose of providing security services for the building housing the Municipal Court, as appropriate, including:
(1) The purchase or repair of x-ray machines and conveying systems;
(2) Hand-held metal detectors;
(3) Walk-through metal detectors;
(4) Identification cards and systems;
(5) Electronic locking and surveillance equipment;
(6) Bailiffs, deputy sheriffs, deputy constables or contract security personnel during times when they are providing appropriate security services;
(8) Confiscated weapon inventory and tracking systems;
(9) Locks, chains, alarms or similar security devices;
(10) The purchase or repair of bullet-proof glass; and
(11) Continuing education on security issues for court personnel and security personnel.
(2005 Code, § 5-1-8) (Ord. 971002, passed - -; Ord. 000323A, passed - -)