Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Rules For Interpretation Of District Boundaries: Where uncertainty exists as to the boundaries of districts shown on the official zoning map, the following rules shall apply:
1. Streets: Boundaries indicated as approximately following the centerlines of streets, highways, or alleys shall be construed to follow such centerlines;
2. Lot Lines: Boundaries indicated as approximately following platted lot lines shall be construed as following such lot lines;
3. City Limits: Boundaries indicated as approximately following city limits shall be construed as following city limits;
4. Railroads: Boundaries indicated as following railroad tracks shall be construed to be midway between the main tracks;
5. Drains: Boundaries indicated as approximately following the centerlines of drains or other bodies of water shall be construed to follow such centerlines;
6. Extensions: Boundaries indicated as parallel to, or extensions of, features indicated in subsections A1 through A5 of this section shall be so construed. Distances not specifically indicated on the official zoning map shall be determined by the scale of the map or field survey;
7. Vacated Ways: Whenever any street, alley, or other public way is vacated in the manner authorized by law, the zoned district adjoining each side of such street, alley, or public way shall be automatically extended to the center of such vacation and all included in the vacation shall then, and henceforth, be subject to all regulations of the extended districts.
B. Conformity: No building, structure, or land shall hereafter be used or occupied, and no building or structure or part thereof shall hereafter be erected, converted, enlarged, constructed, reconstructed, moved, or structurally altered, and no land shall be used for any purpose nor in any manner, unless in conformity with all of the regulations herein specified for the district in which it is located and without a permit being issued when required by this title.
C. Uses Not Provided Within Zoning Districts: In a zoning district if a use is neither specifically permitted nor prohibited, the use shall be considered prohibited. In such cases, the council or the planning commission, on their own initiative or upon request, may conduct a study to determine if the use is acceptable and if so, what zoning district would be most appropriate and also the determination of conditions and standards relating to the development of the use. The council, planning commission, or property owner, upon receipt of the staff study shall, if appropriate, initiate an amendment to this title to provide for the particular use under consideration or shall find that the use is not compatible for development in the city.
D. Nonreduction Of Yards Or Lots: No yard or lot existing at the time of passage of this title shall be reduced in dimension or area below the minimum requirements set forth in this title. Yards or lots created after the effective date hereof shall meet at least the minimum requirements established by this title. No building in any zoning district shall hereby be erected or structurally altered if the lot is below the minimum square footage requirements for that district.
E. Zoning Upon Annexation: All territory which may hereafter be annexed to the city shall be considered to be zoned transition zone (TZ) until such time as the zoning designation is changed by action of the city council.
F. Official Zoning Map: According to the provisions of this title, the city is hereby divided into districts as shown on the official zoning map, which together with all related and supporting information is hereby adopted by reference and declared to be part of this zoning ordinance. The official zoning map shall be posted and made available for examination at the Hawley city hall. The official zoning map shall be the final authority as to the current zoning status of land, buildings, and other structures located in the city.
It shall be the responsibility of the zoning official to maintain and update the official zoning map and to record each amendment thereto within thirty (30) days after the official publication of an ordinance approving an amendment. No unauthorized changes shall be made to the official zoning map or information shown thereon except in conformity with the procedures set forth in this title.
The official zoning map shall be identified by the signature of the mayor, attested by the city clerk treasurer, and bearing the seal of the city of Hawley under the following words: "This is the Official Zoning Map of the City of Hawley, Minnesota", together with the date of adoption of this title.
In the event that the official zoning map becomes damaged, destroyed, lost, or difficult to interpret because of the nature or number of changes and additions, the city council may by resolution adopt a new official zoning map. The new map may correct drafting errors or omissions which may have appeared in the prior map, but such corrections shall not have the effect of amending or changing the original zoning ordinance or any subsequent amendment. (Ord. 230, 5-6-2002)