Any person owning any interest in real estate abutting on any street, avenue or public way, who may desire the vacation of such street, avenue or public way, or any part thereof, may make application therefor by causing to be filed with the city clerk a petition therefor giving a description of the property to be vacated; and thereupon the city council may, and if such petition is signed by the owners of a majority of the private property abutting upon that part of such street, avenue or public way, shall, by resolution, fix a time when said petition shall be heard, which time shall be not more than forty (40) nor less than ten (10) days from the date of the passage of such resolution; and upon the passage of such resolution it shall be the duty of the petitioner to give seven (7) days' notice of the pending of such application by written or printed notice posted in three (3) public places in the city, one of which shall be posted in a conspicuous place on or adjacent to the street, avenue or public way sought to be vacated, and by causing such notice to be published once, not less than one week prior to the hearing of said application, in the official newspaper of the city. Such notice shall contain a statement that a petition has been filed to vacate the street, avenue or public way, or the portion thereof sought to be vacated, describing the property to be vacated together with a statement of the time and place fixed for the hearing of said petition. (1983 Code § 12.08.010; amd. 2004 Code)