Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Application and Compliance. The provisions of the Ohio Building Code shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, maintenance, removal and demolition of every building or structure or any appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings or structures. As provided in Section 3791.04(B) of the Ohio Revised Code, no plans or specifications shall be approved or inspection approval given unless the building represented by those plans or specifications would, if constructed, repaired, erected or equipped according to those plans or specifications, comply with Chapters 3781 and 3791 of the Ohio Revised Code and any rules adopted by the Board.
An owner may exceed the requirements of the Ohio Building Code in compliance with Section 102.9 of the Ohio Building Code.
(1) The Ohio Building Code applies to detached one-, two-, and three-family dwellings and structures accessory to those dwellings, only to the extent indicated in Section 310 of the Ohio Building Code;
(2) Buildings owned by and used for a function of the United States Government;
(3) Buildings or structures which are incident to the use for agricultural purposes of the land on which said buildings or structures are located, provided such buildings or structures are not used in the business of retail trade; for the purposes of this section, a building or structure is not considered used in the business of retail trade if fifty percent or more of the gross income received from sales of products in the building or structure by the owner or operator is from sales of products produced or raised in a normal crop year on farms owned or operated by the seller (see Ohio R.C. 3781.06 and 3781.061);
(4) Agricultural labor camps;
(5) Type A or Type B family day-care homes;
(6) Buildings or structures which are designed, constructed, and maintained in accordance with federal standards and regulations and are used primarily for federal and state military purposes where the U.S. Secretary of Defense, pursuant to 10 U.S.C. Sections 18233(A)(1) and 18237, has acquired by purchase, lease, or transfer, and constructs, expands, rehabilitates, or corrects and equips, such buildings or structures as he determines to be necessary to carry out the purposes of Chapter 1803 of the U.S.C.
(7) Manufactured homes constructed under “24 CFR Part 3280", “Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards”, and within the scope of the rules adopted by the Ohio Manufactured Home Commission.
(8) Sewerage systems, treatment works, and disposal systems (including the tanks, piping and process equipment associated with these systems), regulated by the legislative authority of a municipal corporation or the governing board of a county or special district owning or operating a publicly owned treatment works or sewerage system as stated in division (A) of Ohio R.C. 6111.032.
(9) Building sewer piping.
(10) Portable electric generators and wiring supplying carnival and amusement park rides regulated by the Ohio Department of Agriculture.
(11) Structures directly related to the operation of a generating plant or major utility facilities regulated by the Power Siting Board.