Skip to code content (skip section selection)
All legislative power of the City shall be vested in the Council, except as otherwise provided by this Charter and the Constitution of the State of Ohio. Without limitation of the foregoing, the Council shall have and possess the following powers:
1. The power to levy taxes and incur debts subject to the limitations imposed thereon by this Charter.
2. The power to adopt and to provide for the enforcement of local police, sanitary and other similar regulations as are not in conflict with general laws.
3. The power to provide for the exercise of all powers of the local self-government granted to the City by the Constitution of the State of Ohio in a manner not inconsistent with this Charter or the Constitution of the State of Ohio.
4. The power by ordinance, upon an affirmative vote of five (5) members of Council, to create other offices, departments, divisions, bureaus, boards, and commissions, and to combine, change, and abolish any office, department, division, bureau, board, or commission other than the offices, departments, divisions, bureaus, boards or commissions established by this Charter.
5. The power to fix the number of officers and employees in the various offices, departments, divisions, bureaus, boards, and commissions of the City and to fix the rate of their compensation, hours of work, retirement ages, and to provide such other fringe benefits as established by ordinance.
6. The power to require such bonds as in the opinion of the Council are necessary for the faithful discharge of the duties of the officers and employees of the City. The premium for said bonds shall be paid by the City.
7. The Council shall have the power: to adopt and provide for the enforcement of zoning classifications, districts, uses and regulations by ordinances regulating the subdivision and platting of land within the City; to regulate the subdivision and platting of land outside of the boundaries of the City as provided by general law; to adopt and provide for the enforcement of ordinances requiring actual construction or assurance of construction of streets, utility lines and facilities, sidewalks, curbs and gutters and other improvements or facilities as a condition precedent to the approval of a plat of a subdivision; to adopt and provide for the enforcement of ordinances regulating the construction, reconstruction, alteration, enlargement, repair or demolition of buildings and other structures, as defined by ordinance, within the City; to adopt and to provide for the enforcement of housing codes or ordinances, regulating the use and occupancy of any building or structure, as defined by said codes or ordinances, within the City.
8. The Council shall have the power to establish, by ordinance, the rates of charges made of consumers of all municipal utilities and services.
9. The power to acquire title to or interests in real property shall be vested in the Council, whether such property is acquired by the exercise of the power of eminent domain, purchase, gift, lease, devise, bequest, in trust, or by any other method. The power to sell or otherwise convey, lease or grant interests in real property shall be vested in the Council. Such sale, conveyance, lease or grant shall be in the manner as provided by state statute. Title to all real property shall be taken in the name of the City.
10. To exercise all other powers granted to the Council by this Charter and by the Constitution and laws of the State of Ohio.