Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The Building Commissioner is hereby authorized and directed to administer and enforce the following:
(1) All of the provisions of the town’s building code (Chapter 153 of the Town Code);
(2) Any and all other matters within the Town Code requiring action or administration by the Building Commissioner;
(3) Variances granted in accordance with I.C. 22-13-2-11; and
(4) Orders issued under I.C. 22-12-7.
(B) The basic duties of the Building Commissioner are as follows.
(1) Issue, in the name of the Board of Zoning Appeals, improvement location permits and certificates of occupancy and maintain records thereof; however, it shall be the privilege of the Board or any members of the Board to require that an application submitted to the Building Commissioner be brought before the Board for its review and actions.
(2) Issue building permits, conduct inspections of buildings, structures, and use of land to determine compliance with the terms of this chapter, and report findings and violations to the Plan Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals for the purpose of ordering compliance.
(3) Provide interpretation of the Master Plan and the Building Code when necessary, and the technical and clerical assistance as the Plan Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals may require.
(4) Provide and maintain a public information service relative to all matters arising out of the Master Plan and the building code.
(5) Provide information to the Plan Commission and the Board of Zoning Appeals and maintain permanent and current records arising from the administration of the Master Plan and the building code, including, but not limited to, all maps, amendments, improvement location permits, certificates of occupancy, variances, conditional uses and appeals, and applications thereof, and records of hearing thereon.
(C) The powers of the Building Commissioner shall include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following.
(1) The Building Commissioner, including assistants under his or her supervision, is authorized to enforce all of the provisions of the building code, the zoning code, and all other provisions of the Master Plan. In the performance of these functions the Building Commissioner, and other officials shall be responsible to the Town Council, the Plan Commission, and the Board of Zoning Appeals.
(2) If the Building Commissioner finds that any of the provisions of the Master Plan and the Building Code are being violated, he or she shall notify in writing the person responsible for the violations, indicating the nature of the violation and ordering the action necessary to correct it. He or she shall order discontinuance of illegal use of land, buildings or structures; removal of illegal buildings or structural changes; discontinuance of any illegal work being done; or shall take any other action authorized by law to ensure compliance with or to prevent violations of these provisions.
(3) It is the intent of this chapter that all questions of interpretation of provisions of the Master Plan and the building code shall be first presented to the Building Commissioner.
(Ord. 16-2006, passed 11-6-2006)