Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) In addition to other requirements prescribed by federal or state law or by local ordinance, all motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, and motor scooters, except when operated on actual trail rides conducted outside of public roads and highways, shall be equipped with:
(1) Two rearview mirrors, containing a reflection surface of not less than three inches in diameter, mounted one on each side of the vehicle and positioned so as to enable the operator to clearly view the roadway for a distance of 200 feet to the rear of his vehicle;
(2) A windshield of sufficient quality, size and thickness to protect the operator from foreign objects. In lieu of such windshield, the operator shall wear goggles or a face shield of material and design to protect the operator from foreign objects;
(3) Brakes adequate to control the movement of the vehicle and to stop and hold the vehicle, including two separate means of applying the brakes. One means shall be effective to apply the brakes to the front wheel, and one means shall be effective to apply the brakes to the rear wheel or wheels;
(4) A stop lamp on the rear of the vehicle, which shall comply with the requirements of 47 O.S. §§ 12-206 and 12-219;
(5) A properly operating speedometer capable of registering at least the maximum legal speed limit for that vehicle;
(6) A fender over each wheel. All fenders shall be of the type provided by the manufacturer;
(7) At least one lighted headlamp , but not more than two lighted headlamps, which shall comply with the requirements of 47 O.S. §§ 12-201 through 12-203 and, for motor-driven cycles, 47 O.S. § 12-224;
(8) At least one tail light which shall comply with the requirements of 47 O.S. § 12-204;
(9) At least one rear reflector which shall comply with the requirements of 47 O.S. § 12-205; and
(10) A horn which shall comply with the requirements of 47 O.S. § 12-401.
(B) No person under 18 years of age shall operate or ride upon any motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motor scooter unless such person is properly wearing a crash helmet of a type which complies with standards established by 49 CFR 571.218.
(47 O.S. § 40-105) (`90 Code, § 20-120)