Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) A person desiring to be a Building Division registered home improvement general or limited contractor, or a sewer contractor, shall apply to the Building Division on an application form prescribed therefore for such registration, together with the fee prescribed by the fee schedule.
(b) The application for a Building Division issued registration shall be confirmed and signed under oath by the applicant. The application for a registration shall contain the following information:
(1) Name of the applicant.
(2) Date of birth.
(3) Current residence and business addresses of the applicant.
(4) Current residence and business telephone numbers of the applicant.
(5) Dates of previous registrations or registrations with the Building Division, if any.
(6) Other information deemed necessary by the Building Division.
(c) The application for a registration that as a prerequisite requires an examination or examinations, shall be submitted to the Building Division no later than ninety (90) calendar days after the date on which a passing score was achieved on any required examination given by an approved testing agency. After ninety (90) calendar days from the date that a passing score was achieved on any required examination for a Building Division issued registration, the passing score for that examination shall become invalid. When more than one (1) examination is required for a Building Division issued registration, all examination scores shall be valid. Only valid examination scores are acceptable when making an application to the Building Division.
(d) In addition, the applicant shall also furnish a statement of experience with the application for a Building Division issued registration. The statement of experience shall encompass the period of required experience as set forth in the qualifications for the type of registration for which the application is made. The statement shall clearly and concisely provide the following information:
(1) List of employer or projects with dates of same as applicable;
(2) Detailed work related information about the employment or projects so listed;
(3) The length of time devoted to each such employment or project listed;
(4) The name of the employer or other responsible person with direct knowledge of the quality of the work performed by the applicant during such employment or project listed;
(5) A statement about the applicant's character by each such employer or responsible project person having direct knowledge of the character of the applicant during such employment or project listed; and
(6) A statement, made by the applicant, of the schooling and training the applicant has obtained shall also be included.
(e) This statement of experience shall be notarized.
(f) Before an application may be approved for any applicant for a home improvement general or limited contractor's registration, sewer contractor's registration to be issued by the Building Division, the applicant shall meet the following requirements:
(1) Be not less than eighteen (18) years of age.
(2) Be a United States citizen.
(3) Be of good moral character, as defined herein.
(g) In determining the moral character of an applicant, the Contractor Board of Review may consider:
(1) A record of repeated violations of the Building Code of the City or elsewhere.
(2) A record of repeated violations of other laws or ordinances regulating building construction in the City or elsewhere.
(3) A record of dishonest practice or malpractice in the conduct of a business, trade or profession.
(h) In determining the moral character of an applicant, the Contractor Board of Review may also consider a record of conviction of any crime that was punishable by death or imprisonment in excess of one (1) year under the law that the applicant was convicted, and if the Contractor Board of Review, upon being fully informed, determines that such conviction has a substantial bearing upon the applicant's fitness to be a holder of a registration issued by the Building Division.
(i) A Contractor Board of Review shall consider only such factors as heretofore enumerated when determining the moral character of an applicant.
(Ord. C33-02. Passed 4-15-02.)