Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) It shall be unlawful to undertake or perform work of any Ohio Construction Industry Examining Board (OCIEB) licensed specialty contractor, as defined by Section 712.27(F) of the Ohio Revised Code, within the corporate limits without first obtaining an OCIEB licensed specialty contractor registration from the Building Division.
(b) In addition, it shall be unlawful for any person other than an owner, officer, partner, or employee of an OCIEB licensed specialty contractor, to represent or advertise him or herself, for or without compensation, either publicly or privately, as being ready, willing or able to contract to undertake or offer to undertake, to plan for, lay out, supervise, install and/or make additions, alterations or repairs in or for the building service equipment installation of any electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC), refrigeration or hydronics system in any building or structure governed by this building code, unless such work will be performed under the auspices of a duly registered OCIEB licensed specialty contractor as required by this section.
(c) The requirements of subsections (a) and (b) above shall apply to any new or existing building service equipment in any new or existing building or structure, which shall include one-, two-, and three-family dwellings, governed by either the City Building Code or the Ohio Basic Building Code.
(d) The Building Division requires and issues registrations for the following OCIEB licensed specialty contractors:
(1) Electrical contractor.
(2) Heating, ventilating and air-conditioning (HVAC) contractor.
(3) Hydronics (steam and hot water).
(4) Plumbing contractor.
(5) Refrigeration contractor.
(e) No OCIEB specialty contractor license, or registration, shall be required of any person when acting in the particular capacity or particular type of transaction set forth in this subsection as follows:
(1) A trades person who performs labor or services for a Building Division registered OCIEB specialty contractor for wages, salary, or compensation of any type, manner or form provided such person is a direct employee or a legally leased trades person under the direct supervision of the registered OCIEB licensed specialty contractor.
(2) Any retail clerk, clerical, administrative, or other employee of a Building Division registered OCIEB specialty contractor, as to a transaction on the premises of the contractor.
(Ord. C33-02. Passed 4-15-02.)