Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The wastewater service charge for the use of and for service supplied by the wastewater facilities of the city shall consist of a basic user charge for operation and maintenance, plus replacement and depreciation, and a surcharge, if applicable.
(B) The basic user charge shall be based on water usage as recorded by water meters and/or sewage meters for wastes having the following normal domestic concentrations:
(1) A five-day, 20°C biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) of 240 mg/l; and
(2) A suspended solids (SS) content of 240 mg/l.
(C) It shall consist of operation and maintenance costs plus replacement and depreciation, and shall be computed as follows:
(1) Estimate the projected annual revenue required to operate and maintain the wastewater facilities including a replacement depreciation fund for the year, for all works categories;
(2) Proportion the estimated costs to wastewater facility categories by volume, suspended solids and BOD, if possible;
(3) Estimate wastewater volume, pounds of SS and pounds of BOD to be treated;
(4) Proportion the estimated costs to non-industrial and industrial users by volume, suspended solids and BOD;
(5) Compute costs per 1,000 gallons for normal sewage strength; and
(6) Compute surcharge costs per mg/l in excess of normal sewage strength for BOD and SS.
(D) A surcharge will be levied to all users whose BOD and SS exceed 240 mg/l. The surcharge will be based on water usage as recorded by water meters and/or sewage meters for all wastes which exceed the 240 mg/l and 240 mg/l concentration for BOD and SS, respectively. Section 52.094 specifies the procedure to compute a surcharge.
(E) The adequacy of the wastewater service charge shall be reviewed annually by certified public accountants for the city in their annual audit report. The wastewater service charge shall be revised periodically to reflect a change in debt service or a change in operation and maintenance costs, including replacement costs.
(2000 Code, § 52.080) (Ord. 1068, passed 10-14-1980)