Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) (1) Creation. There shall be created a commission to be known and designated as the “Tree Commission” which shall consist of seven members. Such Commission shall consist of the following members: the Mayor, the Director of Public Safety/Service, one member appointed by the Planning and Zoning Commission, one member appointed by the Board of Park Commissioners and three members appointed by the Mayor. The Tree Commission shall formulate policies concerning the replacement of trees in the City and establish rules and regulations in conjunction therewith.
(2) Term. The term of the three persons of the Tree Commission to be appointed by the Mayor shall have terms for three years, except the term of members appointed to the first Commission shall be as follows: two members for three years, two members for two years, and one member for one year. In the event that a vacancy shall occur during the term of any member, his or her successor shall be appointed for the unexpired portion of said term.
(b) Compensation. Members of the Tree Commission shall serve without compensation.
(c) Duties. The duties of the Tree Commission shall be as follows:
(1) To study the problems and determine the needs of the City in connection with its tree planting program.
(2) To recommend to the property authority, the type and kind of trees to be planted in such City in conformance with this chapter.
(3) To assist the properly constituted officials of the City, as well as the Council and citizens of the City in the dissemination of news and information regarding the selection, planting and maintenance of trees in conformance with this chapter, and to make such recommendations from time to time to the City's Council as to desirable legislation concerning the tree program and activities for the Municipality.
(4) To provide regular and special meetings at which the subject of trees insofar as it relates to the Municipality may be discussed.
(d) Election of Chairman. That within a reasonable time after the appointment of said Commission and the approval of the members thereof, upon call of the Mayor, said Commission shall meet and organize by the election of a Chairman and the appointment of a Secretary. The said Commission shall then provide for the adoption of rules and procedures and for holding of regular and special meetings as said Commission shall deem advisable and necessary in order to perform the duties set forth.
(Ord. 03-01. Passed 1-7-03; Ord. 09-69. Passed 7-7-09.)