Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(1) Intent. All provisions, terms, phrases, and expressions contained in this Code shall be construed according to this Code's stated purpose and intent.
(2) Lists and Examples. Unless otherwise specifically indicated, lists of items or examples that use terms such as including, such as, or similar language are intended to provide examples, not to be exhaustive lists of all possibilities.
(3) Computation of Time. Unless the terms of a specific provision state otherwise (e.g., some provisions specify "business days"), periods of time defined by a number of days shall mean a number of consecutive calendar days, including all weekend days, holidays, and other non-business/working days; however, if the last day is a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, that day shall be excluded.
(4) References to Other Regulations, Publications and Documents. Whenever reference is made to a resolution, ordinance, statute, regulation, or document, that reference shall be construed as referring to the most recent edition of such regulation (as amended), resolution, statute, regulation, or document or to the relevant successor document, unless otherwise expressly stated.
(5) Public Officials and Agencies. All public officials, bodies, and agencies to which references are made are those of the City of Green, unless otherwise expressly stated.
(6) Delegation of Authority. Whenever a provision appears requiring the head of a department or another officer or employee of the City to perform an act or duty, that provision shall be construed as authorizing the department head or officer to delegate the responsibility to subordinates, unless the terms of the provision specify otherwise.
(7) Technical Words. Technical words and phrases not otherwise defined in this Code that may have acquired a peculiar and appropriate meaning in law shall be construed and understood according to such meaning.
(8) Mandatory and Discretionary Terms. The word shall is always mandatory, and the words may or should are always permissive.
(9) Conjunctions. Unless the context clearly suggests the contrary, conjunctions shall be interpreted as follows:
(A) "And" indicates that all connected items, conditions, provisions, or events shall apply; and
(B) "Or" indicates that one or more of the connected items, conditions, provisions, or events shall apply.
(10) Tense and Usage. Words used in one tense (past, present, or future) include all other tenses, unless the context clearly indicates the contrary. The singular shall include the plural, and the plural shall include the singular.
(11) Gender. The masculine shall include the feminine, and vice versa.
(12) Meaning. For the purpose of this Code, words and phrases shall have the meanings set forth in this chapter.
(13) Other Terms Not Defined. Words and phrases not otherwise defined in this Code shall be construed according to the common and approved usage of American English.
(Ord. 2009-21. Passed 10-27-09.)