Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Every person who shall knowingly or wilfully cause, aid, abet or encourage a minor to be, to remain, or to become a "delinquent child" or a "runaway child", as said terms are defined in subsection B of this section, shall, upon conviction, be guilty of an offense punishable as provided in section 1-4-1 of this code and as set forth in the municipal bond schedule adopted by the governing body as provided in section 1-11-19 of this code. Each such offense shall be deemed a separate offense.
B. For purposes of this section, the following definitions shall apply:
DELINQUENT CHILD: Includes a minor, as defined in this subsection, who shall have been or is violating any penal statute of this state or ordinance of the city, or who shall have been or is committing any one or more of the following acts:
1. Associating with thieves or vicious or immoral persons.
2. Frequenting a house of ill repute.
3. Frequenting any policy shop or place where any gambling device is operated.
4. Frequenting any saloon, dramshop, still, or any place where alcoholic beverages or low point beer is manufactured, stored or sold.
5. Possessing, carrying, owning or exposing any vile, obscene, indecent, immoral or lascivious photograph, drawing, picture, book, paper, pamphlet, image, device, instrument, figure or object.
6. Wilfully, lewdly or lasciviously exposing his or her person, or private parts thereof, in any place, public or private, in such manner as to be offensive to decency, or calculated to excite vicious or lewd thoughts, or for the purpose of engaging in the preparation or manufacture of obscene, indecent or lascivious photographs, pictures, figures or objects.
7. Possessing, transporting, selling or engaging or aiding or assisting in the sale, transportation or manufacture of alcoholic beverages or low point beer or the frequent use of the same.
8. Possessing, transporting, selling or consuming low point beer in a manner contrary to the laws of the state of Oklahoma or the ordinances of the city.
9. Being a runaway from his or her parent or legal guardian.
10. Violating any penal provision of the uniform controlled dangerous substances act.
ENCOURAGE: In addition to the usual meaning of the word, includes a wilful and intentional neglect to do that which will directly tend to prevent such act or acts of delinquency on the part of a minor, when the person accused shall have been able to do so.
EVERY PERSON: Includes human beings, without regard to their legal or natural relationship to a minor, as well as legal or corporation entities.
MINOR OR CHILD: Includes male or female persons who shall not have arrived at the age of eighteen (18) years at the time of the commission of the offense.
RUNAWAY CHILD: An unemancipated minor who is voluntarily absent from the home without a compelling reason, without the consent of a custodial parent or other custodial adult and without the parent or other custodial adult's knowledge as to the child's whereabouts. "Compelling reason" means imminent danger from incest, a life threatening situation, or equally traumatizing circumstance. A person aiding a "runaway child" pursuant to 76 Oklahoma Statutes section 5, subsection (a)(4), or aiding a child based upon a reasonable belief that the child is in physical, mental or emotional danger and with notice to the department of human services or the city police department within twelve (12) hours of aiding the child shall not be subject to prosecution under this chapter. (2002 Code § 9.24.020; amd. 2013 Code)