§ 31.074  COMPLAINTS.
   Complaints concerning city policies shall be addressed to and heard by the Council. Complaints concerning actions of city boards and commissions shall be referred to the particular body for comment. All complaints with respect to the management of the city or the actions of any city employee shall be referred to the City Manager for action. The Manager may be requested to provide the Council a written report of the resolution of the complaint. In all instances, deemed appropriate by the Council, the Council may investigate or cause to be investigated through a formal hearing or otherwise the administration of any department.
(Ord. 10-2000, passed 3-15-2000)