Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(1) The Water Department will exercise reasonable diligence and care to deliver a continuous and sufficient supply of water to the customer at a reasonable pressure and to avoid so far as reasonably possible any shortage or interruption in delivery.
(2) The Water Department shall not be liable for damage resulting from the interruption in service or from the lack of service. Temporary suspension of service by the Water Department for improvements and repairs will be necessary occasionally. Whenever possible, and when time permits, all customers affected will be notified prior to shutdowns.
(B) Quality. The Water Department will exercise reasonable diligence to supply safe and potable water at all times.
(C) Ownership of system. All water mains, valves, fittings, hydrants, and other appurtenances, except customer service lines, as defined in § 53.07(A), shall be the property of the Water Department.
(D) Classes of service. The classes of service shall be residential, commercial, standby fire, and contract as further qualified by the number after the class as follows: 1 (inside city limits); and 2 (outside city limits).
(1) Residential service. Residential services shall consist of all services for domestic purposes, single-family dwellings, homes, and municipal purposes.
(2) Commercial service. Commercial services shall consist of those services where water is used for commercial services, such as businesses and multi-family dwellings.
(3) Standby fire service. Standby fire service shall consist of those services where water is available or used for fire protection only.
(4) Contract service. Contract services shall consist of those services for industrial or independent water district purposes under contracts authorized by the City Council.
(E) Special contracts. When the applicant’s requirements for water are unusual or large, such as an independent water district, or necessitate considerable special or reserve equipment or capacity, the Water Department, by authorization of the City Council, reserves the right to make special contract, the provisions of which are different from and have exceptions to the regularly published water rates, rules, and regulations. This special contract shall be in writing, signed by the applicant, and approved by the City Council and City Attorney and signed by the Mayor and City Recorder of the city.
(F) Resale or gift of water. Resale or gift of water shall be permitted only under special contract, in writing, between the City Council and the persons, parties, or corporation selling the water.
(G) Service preference. In case of shortage of supply, the Water Department reserves the right to give preferences in the matter of furnishing service to customers and interests of the Water Department from the standing of public convenience or necessity. Water service to users outside of the city limits shall at all times be subject to the prior and superior rights of the customers within the city limits.
(Ord. 232, passed 8-13-1974)