Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Purpose. To establish density, lot width, lot area, and subdivision design requirements in areas not regulated by zoning, as authorized by Md. Code, § 5.03(a) of Article 66B. To permit these minimum lot width and lot area requirements to be reduced if protected open space is provided as part of a cluster development.
(B) Land Classification Map. The Land Classification Map is provided at the back of this chapter. The Land Classification Map only regulates subdivision design, lot width, lot area, and density. It does not regulate the use of land. The following land classifications are shown on the Land Classification Map:
AR Agricultural Resource
RR Rural Resource
LR1 Lake Residential 1
LR2 Lake Residential 2
SR Suburban Residential
TR Town Residential
TC Town Center
C General Commercial
EC Employment Center
CR1 Commercial Resort 1
CR2 Commercial Resort 2
(C) Land classification boundaries.
(1) Interpretation. The following rules apply for interpreting the location of land classification boundary lines:
(a) Boundaries drawn approximately along the centerlines of streams, drainageways, roads, railroads or other rights-of-way, shall be construed to follow such centerlines.
(b) Boundaries drawn approximately parallel to the centerlines of streams, drainageways, roads, railroads or other rights-of-ways or parallel to property lines shall be construed to lie parallel to such centerlines or property lines at the distance therefrom noted upon the Land Classification Map.
(c) Boundaries drawn approximately along or extending from platted lot lines or other property lines shall be construed to follow or to extend in a straight line from such lines.
(d) The location of boundaries otherwise in question shall be determined by the dimensions or notations upon the Land Classification Map.
(2) Divided lots. Where a land classification boundary line divides a lot which was in single ownership and of record at the effective date of this chapter, the requirements applying to the least restricted portion of the lot shall be deemed to extend over the entire lot, or for a distance of 50 feet from the boundary line into the more restricted portion of the lot, whichever distance is less.
(3) Standards for land adjoining certain state-owned land.
(a) This subsection applies only to land that is:
1. In the R land classification; and
2. Adjacent to state-owned land in the RR land classification.
(b) For such land, the area located within 500 feet of the state-owned land shall be subject to the subdivision standards of the RR land classification.
(Res. 2010-5, passed 5-25-2010)