Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) A person commits the offense of unlawful possession of firearms or firearm ammunition when:
(1) He is under 18 years of age and has in his possession any firearm of a size which may be concealed upon the person;
(2) He is under 21 years of age, has been convicted of a misdemeanor other than a traffic offense or adjudged delinquent, and has any firearms or firearm ammunition in his possession;
(3) He is a narcotic addict and has any firearms or firearm ammunition in his possession;
(4) He has been a patient in a mental institution within the past five years and has any firearms or firearm ammunition in his possession. For the purposes of this division (A)(4), MENTAL INSTITUTION means any hospital, institution, clinic, evaluation facility, mental health center, or part thereof, which is used primarily for the care or treatment of persons with mental illness. PATIENT IN A MENTAL INSTITUTION means the person was admitted, either voluntarily or involuntarily, to a mental institution for mental health treatment unless the treatment was voluntary and solely of an alcohol abuse disorder and no other secondary substance abuse disorder or mental illness;
(5) He is a person with an intellectual disability and has any firearms or firearm ammunition in his possession; or
(6) He has in his possession any explosive bullet. For the purposes of this section, EXPLOSIVE BULLET means the projectile portion of an ammunition cartridge which contains or carries an explosive charge which will explode upon contact with the flesh of a human or an animal. CARTRIDGE means a tubular metal case having a projectile fixed at the front thereof and a cap or primer at the rear end thereof with the propellent contained in the tube between the projectile and the cap.
(B) Unlawful possession of firearms, other than handguns, and firearm ammunition is punishable under § 130.99. Unlawful possession of handguns is a felony punishable under appropriate state law.
(ILCS Ch. 720, Act 5, § 24-3.1) Penalty, see § 130.99