Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Employment. The city may employ part-time police officers from time to time as they deem necessary.
(B) Duties. A part-time police officer shall have all the responsibilities of a full-time police officer and such specific duties as delineated in the General Orders of the City of Fulton Police Department, but the number of hours a part-time officer may work within a calendar year is restricted. Part-time police officers shall not be assigned to supervise or direct full-time police officers. Part-time police officers shall be trained in accordance with the Illinois Police Training Act (ILCS Ch. 50, Act 705, §§ 1 et seq.) and the rules and requirements of the Illinois Law Enforcement Training Standards Board.
(C) Hiring standards. Any person employed as a part-time police officer must meet the following standards:
(1) Be of good moral character, sound health, physically and mentally able to perform assigned duties.
(2) Be at least 21 years of age.
(3) Possess a high school diploma or GED certificate.
(4) Possess a valid State of Illinois driver's license.
(5) Possess no prior felony convictions.
(6) Any individual who has served in the U.S. military must have been honorably discharged.
(D) Discipline. Part-time officers shall be under the disciplinary jurisdiction of the Chief of Police. Part-time police officers serve at the discretion of the city authorities and may be removed by the city authorities at any time. Part-time police officers shall comply with all applicable rules and General Orders issued by the Police Department.
(Ord. 1452, passed 5-21-12)