Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) A person operating a pet shop shall obtain a pet shop permit. Approval from the Department of Planning Services is required prior to permit issuance. Pet shop permits must be obtained annually.
(B) The permit holder shall furnish the purchaser of an animal(s) a written certificate concurrently with the sale that shall contain the following information:
(1) Date of sale;
(2) Name, address and telephone number of purchaser and permit holder;
(3) Permit number of permit holder;
(4) Breed, description, approximate age and sex of dog, cat or other animal(s) sold. (Small mammals, parrot-type birds, and fish not included.);
(5) Medication and prophylactic immunization and dates administered;
(6) Internal parasite medication(s) and date(s) administered;
(7) An unqualified warranty of good health for a period of not less than ten days from the date of purchase;
(8) A recommendation for the purchaser to have the animal(s) examined by a state-licensed veterinarian during the warranty period.
(C) The permit holder shall retain a copy of the written certificate for a period of 12 months from date of sale.
(D) The permit holder shall provide the Department the name, address, and telephone number of each purchaser or recipient of any dog or cat sold or transferred within five days after the sale or transfer.
(E) The Department or Fort Wayne-Allen County Department of Health may delay the sale of an animal(s) suspected of being diseased or otherwise unfit for sale. An examination by a state-licensed veterinarian may be required at the expense of the enforcing agency.
(1) The permit holder shall reimburse the enforcing agency's veterinary fees if the veterinary examination establishes the animal(s) is diseased or unfit for sale.
(2) The examination by a veterinarian shall be conducted within 24 hours of the enforcing agency's determination that the animal(s) requires an examination.
(F) Pet shop owners and operators shall house the animal(s) in a safe and sanitary manner. Medical services, daily care, and housing shall be provided to the Animal(s) according to the specific needs of each species.
(G) No puppy or kitten under the age of eight weeks shall be offered for sale, sold, transferred, exchanged for compensation or given away; with the exception of a puppy or kitten, relinquished to the Department.
(H) Cost. $300.
(I) All permits will be issued under this section only after inspection and approval by the Department, provided all other requirements of this chapter are met.
(J) A late fee will be assessed for a permit renewal that is in excess of 30 days beyond the expiration date. A permit reinstatement fee will be assessed when requesting re-inspection for approval after a revocation of a permit has occurred.
(Ord. G-23-18, passed 9-25-18)